Dogomania

Fetch

freddunn

Guest Anonymous

Sorry I don't have any advice for you. Caeser just always brought things back on instinct and the other two have never had any interest in running after things that are thrown unless Caeser is having fun without them! :D I'm sure someone here can help though.

I didnt really train Freebee to retrieve, she came about it naturally. When she was a puppy I would throw a ball for her and she would chase it. She would pick it up and wait for me to come throw it again. after a while I got tired of following her around, so when she picked it up I called her to me. If she didnt come back with the ball I didnt throw it anymore. She learned in short order that I would throw the ball, but not go get it, so she started bringing it back to be thrown again. Now for her, the fun of the game was in the chase, and the attempt to catch the ball. I was never really attempting to teach her to retrieve, I was playing a game she liked, but got lazy after a while..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now she's a pro. She will find the ball, bring it to me, and drop it at my feet. If it rolls away, she will go get it and bring it back. None of this was actually trained, not deliberately. It was just a game that evolved over time. Laurel will not retrieve at all. She will chase, but not bring back.
In fact, she wont even pick up the ball, just chase it. She waits for Freebee to bring it back, and then runs off with her.