Dogomania

CHF

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My poor old chihuahua has congestive heart failure. He was diagnosed in Feb. It's April now and he seems to have good and bad days, the thing is that when he has a bad day, it's bad. He coughs and coughs and can't seem to stop once he starts. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve his coughing and labored breathing? He is already on the meds the vet prescribed to him and they have helped, but I am looking for something to help him on those bad days.
Any ideas out there?

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this...sorry to be a late responder :o
By the way K, great advice. I have used coenzyme Q10 for my (now deceased) Newfoundland who was diagnosed with CHF at 10 years of age...she lived a good quality life until almost the age of 15 years. I also increased her omega 3 fatty acid in her diet...sardines are a good food to add to a dogs diet...they also contain coenzyme Q10 and omega 3 fatty acid...at that time we didn't have the herbal knowledge we do today. :wink: I have started adding ground flax seeds and hemp oil to my current dogs food.

I just wanted to add to this post...I have recently been reading up in my april issue of the whole dog journal about a herb for the heart called hawthorn..hawthorn does not initiate any immediate changes in heart function, but does so very gently over time, without adding stress or interfering with other body functions. Hawthorn helps support the heart and cardiovascular system in ways that no food or drug can. Hawthorn dilates both coronary vessels and vessels of the brain, helping to increase circulation andthe transport of nutrients and oxygen throughout the body. It also serves as a blood pressure regulator, and it has the ability to steady and strengthen a weak or erratic heartbeat. It is also a great antioxidant. It scavenges free radicals that rob the blood of oxygen and may lead to various forms of vascualr disease. Hawthorn is also useful in cases of renal failure. When combined with ginkgo biloba and herbs that improve urinary function, hawtorn may be useful for getting more blood and oxygen into renal arteries and smaller vessels of the kidneys.
When combined with a good natural diet and other tonic herbs, hawtorn will act exactly as a herbal heart tonic should. Other tonics herbs can be used in combination with hawtorn to round out the supplemental needs of older animals. These include ginkgo or yarrow (for strengthening capillary walls and improving blood supply to the kidneys and extremities) garlic (for added antioxidant and immune system support) alfalfa and red clover (to nourish the bolld, increase appetite, and raise energy levels); dandelion leaf (to assist in the removal of excess water) and oat tops (as a nervous system tonic).
The berries of hawthorn are the most commonly used part of this plant. You can pick the ripe berries and feed them as tonic treats, or when the berries become fully ripe, they can be picked, dreid on a clean sheet of paper and ground. Or, you can make a tea (with a teaspoon o fdried berries and a cup of hot water) and pou it over your dogs food. You can also buy liquid hawthorn tincture (alcohol-free).

If any one would like to order the whole dog journal (which I find is a wealth of information for us dog owners) you can order from this site.

[url]http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/[/url]