Dogomania

can dogs make themselves ill to get attention?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I have a 5 year old boxer/shepard mix. ever since she was young, she would throw up yellow liquid whenever she ate grass or leaves. once in a while i would not be able to figure out the cause of her throwing up. recently, she's been doing it more frequently (couple times a month) and i see no grass or leaves around her.
it's usually when i leave her tied outsied alone. But she really likes it out there on the porch. i dont understand. can she make herself throw up on purpose so i would come and baby her??? HELP!

No, she's not throwing up to get attention.

The yellow liquid is bile. Bile is a combination of bile salts, bilirubin, cholesterol and phospholipids. It is the only way cholesterol is eliminated from the body and is critical in eliminating certain waste fluids from the body. Bile is concentrated in the gallbladder and is produced in the liver.

Sometimes when a dog throws up only bile it is because the stomach is empty and bile has washed back into the stomach. The bile is irritating to the stomach and as a result your dog throws it up. It's called Bile Gastritis when this happens. How often do you feed your dog? Some dogs can't go long intervals between meals.

There are other causes of frequent vomiting of bile though. I would take her to the vet to be looked over because it isn't normal for it to happen so frequently.