Dogomania

how long is too long?

mydogroxy

this is way in advance, but i like to keep on top of things:

my fiance and i are planning on moving in august. currently, there are four people in our household, so roxy rarely spends more than 3 hours in her crate at a stretch. once we move however, there will just be the two of us and roxy. we both have demanding schedules (i go to school and work 5 days a week and he works until very late 4 days a week). this leaves me wondering if roxy will be left in her crate for too long. she would be spending approximately 6-7 hours a day in her crate, four days a week. she does get an hour walk plus indoor play everyday, which would help offset this. she is not destructive for the most part, and usually just lays around when i'm not home anyway, so maybe i should start acclimating her to having free reign of a room or two when she's alone? advice?

i've considered that, but i'd rather not resort to it. we're moving out of our neighborhood, so we wouldn't know anyone. that's not a huge issue, because we would eventually meet our neighbors and such. a bigger issue is that the area we are (probably) moving to is not the best. there is a large, low income population and everything that comes along with it (drugs, guns, violence, AND dog fighting). i am overly protective of my pup, even now in our very nice neighborhood. i don't think i would feel safe having someone else have her out in public.

but for now it's something i'll have to keep in mind.

How old is she? As long as she is not a puppy I think she'll be fine. Buck is in his crate that long when I work the day shift. When I come home and take him for a walk, he doesn't rush into the yard to pee or anything. He has no problem holding it that long. Just throw a Kong or something in there when you leave and she'll probably be fine IMO.

If you want to start getting her used to being outside of it when you're gone I would definitely start doing it before you move. If it would help you worry less to know that she can roam around while you are gone, than go for it!

Only you know your dog but I would think that she will be fine.

Oh and I need to correct my last post. Buck USED to be in the crate that long when I worked day shift. He is no longer shut in his crate, but I believe he does spend most of his time in there when I'm gone.

Go with your gut though. If you really think that it will be a problem for her, maybe try to get her to where she doesn't need the crate. Or could you come home for lunch and let her out a bit?