Dogomania

Are the ebooks out there scams? or are they a good buy?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm really interested in this ebook called "Secrets of a Professional Dog Trainer"...

I have a Saint Bernard now, she's almost a year old... with no real training, she's completely housebroken, and only knows Sit & down... and will stay for short periods of time...

I'm wanting to find a really good dog training book, that people have used and know it works, and is easy to follow. Not only to train my saint, but i'm also planning to get a rottweiler within the next couple of months (a pup)... And I want to start the pup off right on track with some good training techniques...

THanks alot.
Travis

I find the best training is joining an obedience class...not only do they show you how to train YOUR dog...but, your dog is also getting socialized as well. Plus with all the other distractions in the class your dog will learn to pay attention to you...I have always enjoyed obedience classes and have made plenty of friends...and when you have an experienced teacher helping you they can help you with your individual dog...not all dogs learn by the same techniques.

Guest Anonymous

I'd like to put the pup in obedience training, the closest class is about 45 minutes away, and I work 12hr days (2on 2off 3on 2off 2on 3off)... my girlfriend works part time, and we have 2 kids...

Hard to fit the class in there with the 1h30m drive there and back... so I'd like to do as much as I can at home...

Also, I want the book so I have a guide on the best way to housebreak and train it the standard commands...

As long as the books do not offer any negative/harsh training ideas then they should be fine. The one thing I would like to say...if you cannot attend an obedience class then try to at least make time to socialize your dogs as much as possible....socialization is the most important thing you can do for your dogs as well as positive training.
I like using the nothing is free in life for basic house manners, and positive training for house training and basic commands. It's great when you have a dog which enjoys the training process rather than a dog which is forced into training...

Guest Anonymous

if you are asking about the books/videos by adam katz from dogproblems.com, i would recommend not wasting your time and money.

all you need to know about this guy can be found on [url=http://www.dogproblems.com/ultimatedogtrainingbusiness.htm]this[/url] page. it's all about making money.

if you want some good reading material about dogs, read "the other end of the leash" by patricia mcconnell, "bones would rain from the sky" by suzanne clothier, "culture clash" by jean donaldson or any of the books written by jack and/or wendy volhard.

those are really worth reading and i assure you any amount you put into buying them is money well spent. they don't tell you how to jerk, prod and bully your dog into obeying, but will teach you how to overcome the communication gap between humans and canines so your dog will understand much better what you actually expect from him or her.

Guest Anonymous

I don't mind helping the guy make money if the book is good... and it works.

Just trying to find someone who has, or knows someone who has, bought Adam katz book... and if they were satisfied with it... I'm buying some books from ebay atm...

"The Koehler Method of Dog Training" by William Koehler
"The Koehler Method of Guard Dog Training" by William Koehler
"Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Kilcommons
"Family Dog Revolutionary Rapid Training Method Dog Health & Care" by Richard A. Wolters
"How to Raise a Dog In the City in the Suburbs" by James R. Kinney

I mainly just wanted the Koehler & Kilcommons books, but the last two came as a group with one of the Koehler's....

Guest Anonymous

Well... Most of the books I've planned to get seem to be bad ideas... The Koehlers, and the Adam Katz books...

Anyone recommend a "specific" book? So far 'Good Owners, Great Dogs' is the only book I have left, that hasn't had bad remarks...

Any help would be appreciated.

newfiemom, do you recommend one of the books on that page for training in general? (obedience, perimeter training, etc)

thanks again

I will again suggest "Why Does My Dog....?" by John Fisher. It explains alot of the reasoning behind why dogs act the way they do, and uses positive reinforcement and pack mentality as a training basis. It's very easy to read, and humorous as well. He does not believe in abusive
training techniques, and speaks out loudly against them in the book. He is a practicing behaviorist in Britain. I have to agree though that regular training classes, if you have never trained a dog before, is the best place to start.

Not a problem...I just didnt want you to miss it... :D

I had a malamute/Border collie mix...very dominant, very stubborn, wanted to be Alpha and would literally fight you for the position. I am not real big, or strong, and this dog could have taken me out in a heartbeat. All 100 lbs of him. It seemed like we were fighting all the time, about everything. When I got to the point that I was AFRAID of him, I knew
something had to be done. He could not be enrolled at that time in standard classes, because he was considered "aggressive" (and he was) and I couldnt afford a one-on-one training. Someone suggested this book to me, and it changed everything. I realized what it was that **I** had done wrong in this dogs upbringing. (most people would have dumped him in a shelter, that's how bad it had gotten. I am too stubborn for that... :D )

After only three weeks of living by JF's rules, he was under control. He knew who was boss, and had mellowed considerably. I actually had a control stick for this dog, he was that bad...but once I trained him using John's suggestions and they make perfect sense, he became a loveable
and valubale member of my household...THREE WEEKS! I was amazed,
and ashamed, that I had never looked into this before.

He saved my son. I had a problem with the lock on my bedroom door.
I had let Kyle out and put him on the floor in my room. to crawl around while I used the bathroom. I wanst in there 2 minutes when I heard Jarvis bark, and Kyle cry. The door wouldnt latch properly, and the cat had pushed it open. Kyle crawled out and was heading for the stairs. Jarvis caught him at the top of the stairs, after barking, and held onto his
"onesie" with his teeth until I got here. I came out to see a dog, holding a child by his t-shirt, getting pummeled by baby fists, and he never reacted. Just held on. Three weeks before, I believe he wouldnt have cared, one way or another. He learend his place, and saved my son. He got steak for
dinner that night...