Dogomania

Canadian Rottweiler?

dogsgalore

German Rottweilers are more stocky and the American ones are taller and not so stocky. But I've never heard of a Canadian one. The man was saying his was a Canadian Rottweiler but he wasn't allowed to show it because it was too big. I thought this sounded kinda corny. (Maybe there isn't such a thing as an American or German, I thought there was, but I could be wrong.)

• 1 month later...

I live in Canada and I own a Rottweiler...so I must have a Canadian Rottweiler... :lol: :lol:

Actually different breeders have different ideas of what a breed should look like...then you have "working" dogs and "show" dogs which can look very different. "working" breeds such as the german bred German Shepherds are bred to be more square etc. to make better working dogs...you would not find a police officer purchasing an angulated show Shepherd for police work...it would not be able to keep up with the work expected of it. The same goes for Rottweilers and other breeds...when "showing" they are bred mainly for conformation in the ring...in Canada and the States they do not have to be proven in their "field" of work. I beleive in England in germany you have to have a working title on your dog before you can compete in conformation classes. So here in Canada & States you have more show people looking for "pretty" dogs...not necessarily working dogs...I have 4 Newfoundland dogs...and although they will wade, they will not swim...they were orginally bred to be water dogs. My Newfoundland dogs look alot different than "working" newfoundland dogs...my dogs have a ton of coat and have more of a pumpkin head...with little snout...working Newf's tend to have less coat than my dogs.
Hope this clears it up...its all in what the breed club is looking for...just like here in Canada we do not recognise the colors grey or cream for Newf's they would be disqualified and not allowed in the show ring...in the states these are acceptable colours.
So yes, in a way there are different types of dogs in each breed....working & show....the working Rottweilers would be larger and more square. Canadian & American Rottweilers would basically be have the same standards, neither of these breed clubs (AKC or CKC) require working titles...I find the Rotties, Dobies etc. at the shows in Canada & States to be very smaller of frame and smaller.
I hope that makes it as clear as mud....this is just my understanding.