Dogomania

Training help...

Deeg

Hello, I'm new here...as you can see. I have an 11yr old, male Labrador Retriever/English Pointer mix. He hadn't been trained to do much more than sit, lie down, and stay fro almost 11 yrs. (It'll be 11 yrs in December) Now, I've been able to train him. I've taught him a few things including Heal, Sit-up, Speak, etc. But, he is quite stubborn, since he's never had to do anything other than the 3 things he knew. He will only retain the information when he feels like it, and I was wondering, is there any way to teach him to listen, and take the info in at all times? And, most important of all, follow the commands when told? Thank you SO much.

I would just reward him and praise him like crazy when he does what you ask. Other than that, I don't know what else you would do. I mean, for eleven years you haven't asked him to do anything extra, I don't know if you can expect him to be all excited about learning new things at this point. He's not used to it.

I'd like to just let him be, but he still looks and acts like a young dog, and even if I take him for a LONG walk, he's still wound up, and that's the only way I have found that he is able to get rid of all that energy. Belive, me, I took him for a 5 mile walk, and he wanted MORE...Other than having 2 ear infections in his life, and having a lump or two on him, he still acts and looks like a 5 yr old dog. No joint problems, no hearing problems, no vision problems...people think he's younger than he is. Plus, training him has helped with his seperation anxiety issues...is there anything else that I might be able to do to relieve all the energy??? I'd LOVE to know what you guys think.