Dogomania

calcium oxalate crystals in urine

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have a question about calcium oxalate crystals. My dog has recently tested positive for them in her urine. The doctor said her urine's pH was off but he doesn't think there are stones (she doesn't show symptoms).

He recommended changing her diet to a special kibble, but I've recently switched her to Wellness dog food, she had been on more crappy feeds before (which I believe has led to the crystals) and I am currently researching the BARF diet. I took a look at the food he recommended and it doesn't look like a good feed (by products, corn, etc), while the Wellness is the closest food I've found to the BARF diet. Should I start feeding her the urinary care one or stick with the wellness? Which would be better for her? The doctor didn't really recommend one over the other. thank you for your answers.

Guest Anonymous

Well I did this once and it dissappeared so here I go again..

First your doggie needs lots of water. Available all the time if possible. Also frequent feedings as the pH in urine rises (alkaline) after feedings.
Wellness is a good food but has a higher protein than some, which for a dog with calcium oxalate crystals may not be a good thing. Protein can cause the level of calcium in the urine to be higher. So can Vit. D and too much salt.
Things that would be bad for her: Milk, milk products, nuts, chocolate (duh), Vit C and calcium supplements. Some also soy beans, sweet potatoes, rhubarb, wheat germ, spinach, legumes, and summer squash as the are all oxalate producers.
Things she can eat chicken, peas, rice, and turkey. I am sure there are more this was just for now.
Foods recommended for dogs with problems of this nature are Hills u/d and Hills K/d, Waltham Low Protein, and CNM NF from Purina.
If you do BARF talk with someone and do research on what she can and cannot eat to better her crystals. Also you could look into cooking the food for her too just as a side note.
*You want to give her whatever type of food has the most water content available.
Hope this helps some! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

thank you for the replies.

I thought I would mention that she is an older dog so she eats the Wellness for seniors. The info on the back mentions that there is 22% less protein. Is that still to much? Should I get her off the Wellness?