Dogomania

2 year old sheltie limping please help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My 2 year old sheltie is limping, constantly. It seems worse, really bad after sleeping and exercise. There was heat to the front right limb originally but seems to be no pain or sensitivity anywhere. The vet originally prescribed Deramaxx for 1 week. That took away the heat but not the limping. X-rays were done and don't seem to show a break or arthritis but the limping is still extremely bad. He was given a cortizone shot after the week of Deramaxx and put on a two week supply of Rimadyl. It still does not seem to help. Does anyone have any ideas?

That is a hard one... The vet has done everything i can think of. I would check to see if anything is stuck inbetween the paw pads. I have seen 2 cases when the dog has been limping and/or biting at the paw because there was some mated hair/forign body inbetween the paw pads, so i would check for that...
Usually Rimadyl will help with limping and pain within a a day or two. The only other thing i can think about is giving a depo shot (a steroid injection). that could help for pain, but that usually dosen't give an answer about what the orrignal issue is.
She may need a MRI or Cat scan of her leg...
Good Luck!!!!
Let us know how it turns out

Has your vet checked for a transient dislocating patella? Shelties are notorious for slipping patellas and this on xray isn't always obvious. Usually the joint can be manipulated and the vet can tell but if the muscle and ligaments are tight around the patella then it isn't always easy to diagnose.

An MRI scan will give a definite diagnosis if this is the case as the scan evidently will show the place of the patella in realtion to the ligaments.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted soon :fadein: