Dogomania

How stupid can vets be?!?!?!

Crested

I am not trying to start, or continue, a "debate" - Crested asked about scratch tests, I was explaining. The only reason I believe that the allergy tests should be done is:

1. I have never heard of a dog getting an ear infection from it's mother

2. IF it really is allergies, she could go through a lot of time and money
trying to figure out waht's causing the infections. I DID. The scratch tests are relatively simple and less expensive then continual visits to the
vet and continual antobiotic treatment.

3. I had a dog with food allergies, that showed the same symptoms that Crested's dog is showing.

true, this may be the very first infection and it may be nothing more than
that. If it continues, however, I would have the allergy tests done.

OK I guess I should explain...sometimes I assume too much...
I have had allergies my whole life...I am basically allergic to breathing at some times of the year....

Because of that, I have an inborn sense of things that could be allergy related... my malamute was allergic to something in the lawn in the fall,
he would chew his feet to bits...

If this infection continues, he needs to be allergy tested. If not, it was a one-off and dont worry about it.

I have issues with allergies, breathing is hard, getting up is hard, I WOULD NOT want a dog to go through that....I DONT WANT TO GO THROUGH IT.....

courtnek: I'm allergic allso. VERY allergic actually. I'm allergic to pets, dust, pollen, spices, herbs, fruits, berries, vegetables, perfume and many other things. A bee sting is lethal for me. See I have this thing called Epi-Pen just in case. It's an injection I have to put in my leg if I get a bad allergy reaction. This gives me 15 more minutes to get to the hospital before my throat swollens up and I sufficate. The only problem is that while most of allergic peoples blood pressure goes down with an allergic reaction, mine goes up. WAY up. And this Epi-Pen allso rises blood pressure. So... If my bloodpressure goes dangerously high with a bad allergic reaction and then I put the Epi-Pen in, then I risk having a blood vain burst in my brain and die. So... If lets say I get stung by a bee, I have to choose if I want to sufficate to death or get a bleeding in the brain and die of that. Nice choises, huh?
Now you wonder why I tell you this...? Well, just to illustrate that allergies are my life. Literally. So if I get even a little indication that Bella's got allergies, ofcourse I'll take care of it!! No question about it! But this is her first ever ear infection. If it starts coming over and over again, that's a new story, but this is the first time.

The reason why I got angry at the vet was that he had this "I know everything, you know nothing" -thing going on. Come on... if every vet comes and says: "It's allergy" like they know for 100% certanty by only massageing the dogs ears, how many dogs in the world are then allergic?? If he would have checked her ears, taken a skin scrape, SOMETHING to proof what he THINKS, then I would have believed him. But isn't it possible that because this is her first ever ear infection, it's just an ear infection and nothing more?

scotty_lvr: Bella's doing much better. She hasn't been eating THAT much recently, but I think it's because she's been here for only 4 days now. Yesterday she ate nearly everything I put out for her and food from Ben's bowl. See, the big brother's food is MUUUUUUUCH better then her own.
/Crest

[quote]. But isn't it possible that because this is her first ever ear infection, it's just an ear infection and nothing more?
[/quote]

yes, of course it is, and I too am fatally allergic to bee stings and also have an epi-pen. I did not know how much involvement you had with allergies, and while not trying to walk on your opinion (and I have found that MOST doctors act like your vet - we know nothing, they know all)
I was just trying to make you aware of the possibility.

:D