Dogomania

Potty training a 7wk old puppie

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Aloha everyone!

I found out I am getting my puppie sept 6th and not 3 weeks..i am excited! Can you peoples please help me on potty training my puppie?
i know i don't have him yet..I just want to be prepared.
how do i know he wants to potty? advice is greatly appreciated!

Guest Anonymous

HELLO,
We have a young pup she is now 14weeks old,I had her at just 5weeks.Anyway what i did was put some paper down for her in one place in the kitchen.Call it look but she went n it strat away to do what ever she needed to do.Also ever time she used it i changed it so it was always clean.then as she got a few weeks older i moved it closer to the back door until it was out side this work for us and she is now spotless in the house.But i also used to put her on it as soon as she woke up from her restso she didnt have the chance to do it any were she wont to.So if i were you as soon as the pup wakes put her were you wont her to use the toilet.ALl I can say is this worked for our pup.Good luck in training the pup,and i hope you have as much fun as i do with mine.Please let me know how you get on. :)

Seven weeks is quite young to get a puppy, but I know some people who think the pup "bonds" better with the owner. (But then, I own a toy breed, and they usually stay with mom till 12 weeks!)

A pup this age really cannot be housetrained. They are just infants, still -- it would be like expecting a 6-month-old human baby to use the toilet. Just keep a CONSTANT eye on him, and take him out after he eats, drinks or naps. I would skip the papertraining, personally -- I think it just adds an extra step.You should also consider crate-training your baby, though you really cannot expect so young a pup to go too long without having an accident.

This site has lots of good info:

[url]http://users.visi.net/~lfleck/grreat/booklet/housebk.html[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I would strongly reconsider getting a dog from the kind of breeder who would let a pup go to a new home that young. At least reconsider having the pup stay until 8 weeks, it could really prevent a lot of social and behavioral problems along the road.

Both Powerpf and Kaimali, what breed, age of dog and what is their day going to be like?

Guest Anonymous

I got my puppie from a friend... not a breeder. This is her second litter..my friend always gave her puppies away at 7 weeks and they all turned out to be very sweet dogs.

Guest Anonymous

I came on here to get help on potty training my pup.
Do not get hostile with me for someone elses mistake. There is other people on here who got there puppie at 5 weeks old, and mine is now 8 weeks. Thanks to nifftyjulie her idea worked..maka is now pooping and peeing on a puppie mat.

When you get pups from someone like that, you support them. I'm not being hostile, and sorry you took it that way. Dogs come first to me over people who can speak up for themselves however. I did try to help you but you refuse to answer my question. Different breeds take to different potty training methods. Personally I never use in house methods because they often cause accidents later on, however they are pretty much necessary for small breeds that must spend any amount of time alone.

Guest Anonymous

I apologize too, for taking it the wrong way. He's 50% pomeranian 25% terrier 25% chihuaua. Do you know when I start taking him outside to do his duties? I would post a picture but it doesn't want to post :(

:) No worries.

He's small, so he can't hold it long! So you will have to use the paper. As often as possible though, try to get him to go outside. I'd really praise him for outside, not so much for inside. Little puppies have tiny little bladders, so he'll have to go often. My pup was 100% trained by 10 weeks, but he's a Great Dane lol so big bladder. Take him out after eating, sleeping, playing, and I'd recommend doing it on a leash. Use a phrase like "outside potty?" for going out, then "go potty" or something similar for when he does his business. Only give him about 5 minutes out on the leash to go. If he goes, he gets praise and playtime, but if he doesn't try to just sit with him and try again in a little bit.

Is he going to be alone during the day? Crate training or a puppy proofed room? If you're home with him, you can use the umbilical cord method to train him, which is keeping him on a leash with you at all times. He gets off leash playtime as a reward. This helps with potty training as well as household behavior, like what is ok to chew and what is not.

Guest Anonymous

oops i forgot, Maka is only alone for 2 hours since i have class in the mornings...otherwise i'm here at all times hehe :D
I haven't tried crate training, but it does sound like a good idea.
I puppy proof the whole house too, so hes okay!