Dogomania

Border Collie Agression

Guest Anonymous

I have a BC and his socialization was going fine until around 9 months or so when he would bark, raise hackles a bit and pull on lead when other dogs were around. With the dogs in area he was familiar with he was fine - my error - not socializing him with a lot of different dogs.
We went to obedience class and advised them that although Kavik had never bit or attacked another dog he certainly behaved in an aggressive/dominant way. They said no problem - all dogs are leashed all the time and we will see if we can work through it. The first 2-3 classes were an embarrassing nightmare - he was so disruptive the trainer could barely be heard in the first class. We got a space a bit apart from the other dogs and were allowed to bring a pb stuffed kong and such to keep him distracted. We also quietly ran over his commands to keep him focused while the trainer was explaining things. After the third class he had no problems but one - there was one other adult unnuetered male in the class and Kavik hated him - I think in part because he had the [i]nerve[/i] to be much taller than Kavik. Obedience also built Kavik's confidence and kept him focused on me or his task. Worked great and allowed us to more easily socialize him. Useful commands - "down" and "watchme".
I have heard as well the BCs require careful socialization or they can develop aggression issues - I think it has a lot to do with them being somewhat high strung little beings. Some of them have aggression issues even if socialized. See [url]http://www.bcrescue.org/[/url] for more info, they're not a bad source of info.
Lots of excercise, a good diet and snuggles help a whole lot too, don't underestimate them.
Got any pics. :D

Guest Anonymous

Thanks alot :) actually i do have a link to some pictures of her - shes about 3-4 months here and was about 20-35 lbs now shes about 60-70.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/mypupeh/[/url]

Bob

Guest Anonymous

I'd recommend you read [u]Excel-erated Learning: Explaining How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them[/u] by Pamela Reid, Ph. D. and also [u]Dogs are from Neptune[/u] by Jean Donaldson. For some other great reads go to [url]www.apdt.com[/url] The Association of Pet Dog Trainers has a great list with the 10 most recommended boks or videos. Best of luck.

Guest Anonymous

Actually, shes cut back on her own food - she use to have 6 cups of food a day but now she only has about 4-5 she doesnt eat anything else :). I actually have another question - and it wasn't really a problem but today she really messed things up.

Whenever someone comes inside our house that she knows she gets a bit excited :lol:. We have her sit and stay by the door - but she still gets really excited and actually lets her bladder go when she see certain people - such as my grandmother or my aunt. I was wondering if there was a good way of stopping her from getting so excited and jumping up/peeing on the floor? I know that its a bit annoying to have happen to you when you come inside after a long day.

Thanks,
Bob

You can request that guests ignore her completely for the first 5 to 10 min of their visit, sometimes more depending on the dog. She is so excited at merely seeing these people that giving her any attention may be too much, additionally this lets her know that company, while good and fun, is not an immediate attention-fest for her, calming her down some. If this is not applicable I would normally suggest things that would boost her standing in the "pack" but with her dog dominance issues I'm completely unsure wether this would be a problem or not. Perhaps someone else would know. Another possibility though would be that as she is a juv she will outgrow this naturally as she matures and becames an adult in the pack.