Dogomania

Kough, kough....

Ben's been koughing all morning. He kept his food down yesterday, but today he looks just awfull! I'm a bit scared to give him food... He was better yesterday, but now he's worse then on monday! (not throwing up, but just REALLY tired and koughing all the time unless he's sleeping)
Is there something I could do?

/Crest

Is it coughing-retching? I'm thinking it might be kennel cough--which wouldn't be anything to worry about... You just bring him to the vet and he'll be put on antibiotics--so the cough will get better and disappear in a week... My pup got this stuff (the kennel cough) as a reaction to her vaccine. Imagine...

Anyway, that's my guess... try to bring him into the vet's.

It could be kennel cough, I'd call your vet FIRST before just taking Ben in. The vet may want you to be the last client of that day and have all other dogs out of the waiting room before you bring Ben in. Kennel cough can be VERY contagious. It would be best for you to carry Ben as this virus sheds easily. MOST dogs recover from the kennel cough virus with no ill effects in 7-10 days. You vet may prescribe antibiotics to prevent secondary infection and a cough suppressant. Kennel cough is similar to the cold virus in people in some ways. The vaccine does not always prevent it. There are many mutations of kennel cough. I have been seeing a lot of msgs lately on my other list regarding kennel cough, perhaps new strains out there.
Now if Ben is having ANY trouble breathing, I'd of course rush him right to the vet.
Are Cresteds susceptible to respiratory illnesses?
Candy came from the SPCA with a case of kennel cough. She was VERY underweight and not in the best shape but she recovered nicely. Neither of my other dogs came down with it.

One of my dogs contracted kennel cough at a flyball tournament. She was given some meds and recovered quickly.

Ben may just have a virus that started as vomiting and now going to his chest. I would make an appt. and have him seen by a vet. You need to make sure your vet takes you seriously and figures out what is wrong with Ben. Don't let him do a 2 second exam and say don't worry he will be fine.

My poodle has a periodic cough but it is caused when he drinks water to fast. Keep on eye on Ben and when he is coughing. Is it after he drank some water or something? Because he was sick, he may just be drinking too fast.

Either way, I would take him to the vet. With a dog that size, they can get sick quickly and take forever to recover.

Ben hasn't coughed anymore. Could it be of the vometing? I mean you often get a sore throat after you've vomited a lot, right? Could it be that he just had a sore/dry mouth? He got a lot better when I gave him food.

/Crest