Dogomania

Shaving

Barbiro

I shave Lady, my Flat-Coated Retriever, every summer. We live in Florida and it gets very hot and muggy. I got the OK from the vet and Lady seems to feel more refreshed and pant less after she's shaved. I also shave Tobi, my Long-Hair Chihuahua (well....I shave everything but his pretty curly tail).

Do you shave you dogs in the hot summer months?

I have Newfoundland Dogs, and no I don't shave them (they do get scissored, newf's these days carry way too much coat)...for one thing they are still being shown by the breeder who still owns them...and most times a double coated breed's coat comes back in terrible after being shaved off, the undercoat will some times grow faster than the outer coat...I had an old Newf. which I used to shave off every summer...the only reason, she was very old and did not enjoy being groomed, grooming would stress her out and it is impossible to keep a Newf's coat without constant grooming....so we did shave her (only at the being of spring)...but every winter her coat came in horrible.