Dogomania

Pinching pup!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have this one pup who has learned how to not bite but [u]pinch![/u]
ooooohhh...that smarts...lol
any ideas on how to break her of this?
I don't want to hit her, so when she does it I adnore her and she stops for a while then forgets and does it again.
when I adnore her she gets pissed! climbs up on the couch and attacks the blanket yapping and rolling and looking in my directiion. I think she is trying to get my attention.
each tim I disaplin her in this way it is longer between pinches.
she mainly does it when she is excited.
any ideas? anyone have one that did or does this?

Donna

Guest Anonymous

My Hazel usually does this when playing around and grabbing my clothes. She goes to grab my pant leg, and will get too close to the skin, and PINCHES me, it does Hurt a LOT!
When she does this, I YELP really loud, this will scare and she realizes she hurt me, and did something wrong.
I will then clamly put my arm out and say "Hazel, GENTLY" and she will "bite" my arm gently. I then praise her. You should always teach your pup how gentle to bite, what his limit is when he's just a puppy. Sometimes they will forget, and you have to remind them a little.
But after I yelp and tell her to be nice she always plays good after that.

When Lecter does that it's usually b/c i'm not spending enough time w/ him actually playing. he does it more like nibbling on a cob of corn, three or four quick ones and he strikes another spot for 3 more before he runs off for me to chase him. i still tell him "NO BITING" and toss him his cong for us to change the game we're playing. How has diverting her attention work in the past?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='bullygirl29532']When Lecter does that it's usually b/c i'm not spending enough time w/ him actually playing. he does it more like nibbling on a cob of corn, three or four quick ones and he strikes another spot for 3 more before he runs off for me to chase him. i still tell him "NO BITING" and toss him his cong for us to change the game we're playing. How has diverting her attention work in the past?[/quote]

She is only 14 weeks, her only attention is people! hell with the toys she wants some human interaction!. It's not that I don't spend time with her I am home all the time laid off. She craves attention constantly and if she don't get it she throws a hissy fit! and its not that she has no other dogs to interact with she has her mom and her aunt and a brother and my toy poodle sassy who mainly hides from her. she just has to be the center of attention. but hey she is my baby and I love her.

It's just that I never had a pup who demanded my attention like she does.
I had to keep her she is somethng special. and very smart, her problem solving capabilities are uncanny. I call her snott rocket!

Guest Anonymous

I would nip that "demanding" in the bud! As the alpha in your home, every dog has to understand that attention is given on YOUR schedule not theirs. If you give into her demands while she is young it is going to reinforce the pattern and you are gonna have one annoying little dog on your hands.

Trinity

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Trinity']I would nip that "demanding" in the bud! As the alpha in your home, every dog has to understand that attention is given on YOUR schedule not theirs. If you give into her demands while she is young it is going to reinforce the pattern and you are gonna have one annoying little dog on your hands.

Trinity[/quote]

exactly my intention

Guest Anonymous

I was getting welts on my arms and legs from my pincher, and bruises, too! You can watch her closely to see what she does right before the pinch and then distract her. Try a squirt bottle (she knows what she's planning, don't feel guilty) or throwing a toy. definately do not distract her by giving her anything food...she can learn to pinch when she is hungry, or begging. I didn't mean to, but I popped my pincher on the nose for it...I was half asleep and she ran up and put a welt on my arm, I popped her nose and felt terrible...the pinch was the last thing in the world I was expecting! She is now very careful about the pinching...she runs immediately afterwards! As a pup, she would run up behind me in the yard and incite a chase by pinching and then taking off. I would just stop walking, get a couple welts, then calmly keep on in my direction...she stopped the outdoor pinching, then discovered indoor pinching. she is better about it, though.

You correct pinching behaviour just like biting behaviour. Your dog is taking control of the situation and beginning to think he/she is alpha at a very young age. My recommendation is to startle the pup when she's playing and nips or bites, use a very stern voice and say "NO BITE" and put a toy or nylabone in their mouth to replace the chewing need.
You have to get rid of this behaviour now, if you can't seem to reach the puppy go to a trainer or behaviourlist. They will evaluate your pup and set the best plan of action.
Good luck and keep us updated.