Dogomania

Usefull dog breeds

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This is kind of a continuation for one of the discussions below.This way you don't have to go through four pages to read it. It is tru that most breeds cannot do what they were originally bred for. Someone mentioned the Gladiator mastiff that used to fight lions in the roman colloseum.Have you ever seen an italian Cane Corso ?I have and know a breeder personally they are directly descended from those ancient war dogs they can and would fight lions(if you actually wanted to see something like that) there are people out there ruining that breed as well but they could still do that job. Gamebred American pit bull terriers could also catch bulls and they would they absolutely have the heart and gameness to do it Show bred Apbt's or American staffordshire terreirs probably could not because they have been bred for conformation above all else.Catahoula leapord dogs are bred for working not for show that is why they are still usefull.Look at the German or european bred German shepherd versus an American bred show dog. Alaskan huskies versus siberian huskies. Great danes have changed alot that is why I won't own one(no offense intended). But you must remember that the general public is NOT responsible enought to own a true "Lion eater" They are not deperately in need of a dog that will go after any animal it sees. I do believe in preserving a breed and keeping it as close to it's original standard as possible .Breeders should preserve the working qualities of whatever breed thye are working with yes even dacshunds should still be willing and able to badger hunt. The "culls" or less driven dogs could then be sold to pet homes where they will be loved for being just that a pet.I have seen some ugly dogs win in the show ring one great dane even had a crook tail but the handler was VERY good in hiding that fault from the judge.In my opinion Danes should not look like an over sized Doberman they should look like the proud boar hunter they once were.If you are just interested in a pet or a dog to be your friend than rescue one don't breed pet quality dogs just to have more good pets for other people there are already plenty of pets out there.

"If you are just interested in a pet or a dog to be your friend than rescue one don't breed pet quality dogs just to have more good pets for other people there are already plenty of pets out there.[/quote]

AMEN!!! It really burns me up, all of the people that are "breeding" Just to get pets. :x Then they have the nerve to have a website and/or advertise in national magazines. They are actually proud of themselves.

[quote name='laduenda'] In my opinion Danes should not look like an over sized Doberman they should look like the proud boar hunter they once were.[/quote]

I don't think I've ever seen a Dane that looked like a giant Dobie, and can't imagine the freakish genes that would produce that.

But anyways...

Do you not believe in evolution? For the breeds whose past can be brought into the present, like the GSD's traits and police work, blood hounds and SAR, etc etc, I see the need and reason to continue to breed for these traits.

But what of the "useless" breeds? I'm sorry, but no one goes lion hunting, nor should they. Lions are endangered and dangerous! And who goes lion hunting in America even? So should the Cane Corso be "discontinued"?

No one takes a Great Dane boar hunting any longer. Should they have no purpose? They make incredible companion dogs. They are extremely lovey, sensitive, and well-suited to the modern home. Is this not a good purpose?

No, I'm not saying that people should breed for pets. I agree their are enough pets out there. My dog's breeder breeds for show, and also competes in French Ring. I'm lucky to have gotten a companion out of her breeding.

But of the breeds that have no real purpose any longer, what to do? Isn't it normal for them to evolve as well?

Oh, also I'm not saying I don't do anything with my dog. We play together, go on several walks a day, work on obedience, etc. but I couldn't say he has any true function.

Guest Anonymous

this goes back to another thread that was going. While i do agree that most dogs have drifted from thier bred purpose and that is a shame its also a necessity. Most dogs would be uncontrollable by the average person if they had this original drive. I know people who cant control a dog that is used for herding less known a dog that is bred to hunt lions, bears, boars and such. Now I sa if you want a companion dog get a companion breed. Its wrong to get a dog from working lines and then not work the dog usually ends up unhappy and the owner with a lot of broken stuff, or a crazy dog on a chain. There are thousands of rescue dogs that are just that. The drives were too much for the owner so they had to give it away, rather than work with the dog. My credo a tired dog is a good dog. It DOES NOT have to be what the breed was bred for, anything is work to a dog just give them a task, OB, agility, ring sport, street sport, herding, conformation, show, anything that requires one-on-one time with your dog and gets them lots of prase is sufficient.

I totally agree! I hate when people get dogs from breeds or lines they can't handle, and then the dog is not trained right or given the amount of activity it needs. That's why you should research first, and be honest with yourself about your lifestyle. There are sooo many breeds I adore, but know that honestly they are not the best match for me.

Guest Anonymous

Short and sweet - Reputable breeders breed for the breed standard. Backyard breeders, brokers, and millers breed for money and most times under the guise of companion dogs or pets. Reputable breeders know they will be lucky to get 2 or even 3 out of a litter of 7 or 8 who will have show potential and that is why their pet quality pups are sold on a spay/neuter contract and are encouraged to do obedience and/or agility, or other noteworthy activities.

Guest Anonymous

Not much of my business and i hope there wont be stone thrown at me...but i know of breeders who breed to standard but are not in the AKC because of their beliefs. I am not a fan of AKC at all because of the damage they have done with their standards to some breeds. People who don't breed for show dogs usually breed for work. That is what my aunt does. She breeds ACD's for work only. She sells them to people on farms only and never lets a puppy go without making sure it's home will have it there for working purposes but give it a good home as well.

Dream
When I got Kavik I ran into the same thing. There were two distinct groups of breeders of Border Collie in this area:
1) Breeders of BC from show/agility/flyball backgrounds who are registered with the only group that registers BCs here. More on that later.
2) Breeders of BC from working/herding background, many of which cannot go home with new family until the dog is 3-6 months old so that the dog can get its start working livestock or at least acclimating to livestock with the breeder. Most will only provide BCs to people with livestock. Some are registered.
The Canadian Kennel Club (quite similar to the AKC) does not register Border Collies. I have inquired as to why and have recieved no official response but one breeder advised me that this was because the majority of the breeder's of BC either just don't care or would prefer their breed not be registered due to the possibility or working lines being compromised by people breeding to CKC standards that may or may not coincide with useful working traits.
Regardless of which groups the breeders fall into most of the ones I talked too have spay/neuter agreements, certiefied hips/eyes/etc on parents, min 2 yr gaurentee, at least one parent on site, most were kept in the family residence, not in a run/barn/kennel, all were the only litter in that year often longer, all required that the new family not sell or dispose of the dog before contacting them and most working lines would never even discuss placing their dogs in homes without livestock to work. (Really the working line breeders were even better that the "registered" BC breeders as they would offer aid in training as relates to herding as well as all of the above for as long as the dog lived.)
I'm not sure how people feel about this but it seemed to make sense to me at the time. I don't think, at least in this case, that non-registered meens BYB. I think this scenario MIGHT be true of many dogs that still have applicable jobs.
Kavik by the way is from the first group - agility/flyball/show not working lines.

working and job specific dogs are usually well bred, healthy and sound, not to mention very good at whatever job it is they do.
I think it's because the breeders themselves have something to lose if the dog can't perform.
In australia, and anywhere where livestock and dogs are worked, it is a matter of great pride for a breeder of a good working dog to be able to say to his mates at the next sheepdog trial "I sold him that dog"
Usually the working dogs bear little resemblance to their show counterparts tho.

Guest Anonymous

The same thing exists in the sled dog world. Most peoples' idea of a sled dog is the typical Siberian husky-grey or black with a mask, blue eyes- if you saw the movie Snow Dogs you know what i mean. As a side note, please understand that Snow Dogs had very little if anything to do with real sled dogs or mushing. :-? Siberian Huskies used to be the premier breed in sled dog racing, but thanks to the AKC (sorry, true beleivers) Siberians are rarely seen in competative events, and if they are they rarely place. They have shortened their build and made them bulkier and heavier boned, so that now they resemble large stuffed toys. Yes, there are a number of mushers out there who are trying to return the breed to its working roots, using older bloodlines and are moving up in the placings.