Dogomania

Gun dog training

Hobbit

Any suggestions here?

My buddy has a nice Lab that he trained himself. He is a very accomplished trainer, responsible owner, and the most patient person I've seen in a while with his dogs.

With his dogs, he sometimes can not use the same method because they do not all respond alike. Example: Clicker training works for some, but not for some; a training collar is a must for some, but not for others....etc..you get the idea.

One particular pup, he started out using a piece of carpet to get his "stays" & "sits" down pat and he uses a clicker. He sends the dog out for a retrieve, he brings it back like he should and the carpet is used to get him in the correct position/correct place. When the pup hears the clicker, no matter what he is doing --- he goes to his carpet. Even if it is 100 yards away from the handler. Are you starting to see a problem with that? He is now to the point in the training that the carpet is being weaned away from him....the dog has another idea to this! NOW, are you starting to see the problem?

NOW here's the problem: He has a pump shotgun, when he chambers a shell --- for whatever reason, the dog thinks this is the clicker! He responds like he is supposed to. If the carpet is in the back of the pickup, this is where the dog goes --- just like he was taught. If the carpet isn't to be found, he worrys himself trying to find it.

I am not a gun-dog trainer, but it seems to me that he needs to start over WITHOUT the carpet. Right? Any other suggestions?

Okay, thanks.

This is the first time he's ran into this and of course, I'm laughing my self to death over here!! :lol:

It's just the look on the dogs face when he can't find the carpet --- really sad, poor boy.

I've never seen him use the carpet before, I know several of the other gun-dog owners are using it. Sounds a little *problematic* to me (later on). I think he will probably use the carpet to wipe his feet on and not sit dogs on for now on! :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://www.oakhillkennel.com/main.html[/url]

This husband/wife team are soooo very amazing and so is the site!! They live out by my parents and you can go to watch them train dogs (except during force-fetch) and work them! I hope this helps!! I know they will help with little quirks in a dog and offer advice with problems!! :wink:

THANK YOU Jacsmom. He's a sharp young dog and there shouldn't be any problem. I think his confidence isn't where it should be and the carpet is his security blanket. It's now in his crate --- :lol: . I know that isn't funny, but it's something that ... "you just had to be there".

He also has a funny thing where he takes ALL the food out of his bowl, mouthful at a time and puts it on the floor. When the bowl is clean, he lays down to eat it. Chili (my BC) won't eat from a bowl, either. She takes big mouthfuls and puts it on the floor then eats from the floor --- but she just does one mouthful at a time. Each to their own, I guess. Glad I have hardwood floors! :D

[quote name='sashagirl']Sasha does that too. But she will take a mouthful out of the bowl, walk under the dining room table drop it on the ground and eat it. Then walk back into the kitchen for another mouthful... :roll:[/quote]

That is exactly Chili. Even when she is all by herself in the house, she still does this. AND she absolutely refuses to eat ANYTHING in a crate, even with her door open.

She has now gotten Sammy (Kelpie) doing the same thing, only Sam doesn't do it all the time. Monkey see, monkey do.

The only thing I can think is that deep in her mind, she doesn't want the other dogs/preditors/etc... finding all of her food, her stash (because if they do, they'll eat it all and she'll perish). So, she eats away from the main source of nourishment.

[quote name='Hobbit']He also has a funny thing where he takes ALL the food out of his bowl, mouthful at a time and puts it on the floor. When the bowl is clean, he lays down to eat it. Chili (my BC) won't eat from a bowl, either. She takes big mouthfuls and puts it on the floor then eats from the floor --- but she just does one mouthful at a time. Each to their own, I guess. Glad I have hardwood floors! :D[/quote]

My dad's Corgi (which I gave him :lol: ) takes all the food out, buries it, then digs it up and eats it. :lol:
Also if he tries to switch brands, she dumps the bowl on the ground and then tells him she is hungry.

Guest Anonymous

I have two bowls one for cocker and one for Jac..... (same food in both) with cocker being blind I hate to switch what she knows so I leave it...Anyway...Jac will go from one bowl to the other..over and over and over .....It about makes me sick to watch him!!! :o

[quote name='Mei-Mei']As for what your friend needs to do Hobbit (I am not a trainer so don't laugh at me if this is a dumb idea :oops: ) why doesn't he wean the dog from the clicker sound with a bell or whistle sound?

For instance, everytime he uses the clicker then immediately blow the whistle. Then start clicking and whistling at the same time. Eventually just blow the whistle for the dog to get into the ready position. Do you think this might work?[/quote]

Laugh? No, that's a great idea. I didn't EVEN think of that. We haven't had time to chat since the post. He just says everything is okay, working out fine. I'll be sure and ask the next time we speak (and give him this suggestion).

THANKS!