Dogomania

Peeing from excitement?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

:O Okay.. So I know when you let the dog out off a leash they are extremely excited.. But when our dog see's people Shes like gone.. and now that she getting like 3 months old shes getting quicker.. I can't catch her anymore :-(. Anyhow.. When she goes up to people she pees on the ground while greeting them.. Is there something that can be done to prevent this.?? She still has a little bit of house training to go but shes gotten in the habit now of letting us know when she has to go out.. Which is good.. With an occasional accident that I don't know how to correct just yet.. Any ideas from anyone?

By the way.. Ive read a few messages talking about Exercising the pup.. What do people mean by that? Ive noticed our pup is extreme wound up in the evening.. When My girlfriend comes home from work she is extreme excited to see her So she jumps all over her clawing her to kingdom come.. etc.. Any ideas?

Sorry I know so many questions but im new to all this too..

Guest Anonymous

Wow.. Very well detailed.. Impressive :).. I like that..

Okay onto your reply.. As for housetraining accidents.. She (Isabelle).. Will "wee" or the other one... Doesn't matter which.. She is really good so far about not doing the other one right away.. We know that right after she eats it usually means out the door she goes.. as for "weeing" She does that whenever.. She has done it right in front of me before and as soon as she does it she bolts for the bedroom because she knows shes in trouble.. People have told me to put her nose in and this will cause them not to do it anymore.. Doesn't work with her for whatever reason.. She know shes done wrong but for whatever reason this doesn't help.. Im not sure how to correct it.. Ive seen her attempt to do it and when I say potty.. (She knows that word well :-) ).. She bolts for the front door.. But sometimes Im not sure if its out of revenge or if its just because she can't hold it or what and I don't know how to teach her bad..

As for petting her only when shes good.. Its nearly impossible..If you don't "acknowledge her presence when she is clawing you.. She will jump on the couch and then on to you and force her to acknowledge you.. Do you just push them off the couch and say no or ?? Im not sure.. I hate to hit the puppy but sometimes she does not listen like at all.. Shes hard headed like me :)..

Any suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

Great advice K!!!!!! I never have rubbed my dogs nose in a wee spot and I had my Cocker house trained in 2-3 wks and Lab in 1 month. If I would catch them in the act I would immediately take them out the door.. Then when they finished outside I would praise. I also desiginated a "potty" area outside.. My dogs knew when they did something they weren't suppose to all I had to do was say OH you have been a bad boy/girl or who did that and the guilty one who go hide. It was kinda funny!

As for jumping..go with what K said...Off and Sit..I use them myself with my dogs.. It will not happen overnight and takes repetition, praise, and I use treats :D .. (K I use down for lay down also!) There is nothing in this world like a 75-100 lb dog who jumps on you.. so this is valuable training for any dog.. :D

Guest Anonymous

Ruby has the same habit of jumping up and standing on her hind legs(which causes scratches). :(
Her front paws hit me on the upper chest now (I'm 5'7", so she is getting bigger) :o
[u]A neighbor suggested when she does this:[/u]
grabbing her paws and "dancing"
Never letting her lead! Always keep control!
She doesn't like it, because it's not what she wanted to do. :-?

Anyone ever heard of this method?
She demonstrated, and I've only done it once, so far.
Unfortunately, my husband doesn't help by encouraging her to jump up, so he can hug her!! :x :roll:

BTW - I earned my second paw!! :lol: :D :P :wink: 8)
How many do I need for a third?

Yay yay I can tell you (thanks to K) you need 100 posts to get 3 paws!!!
I can't help you with the jumping thing either, BK doesn't reach me like that, he springs up and is usually level with my face, he likes to say hi like that LOL. Maybe putting your knee up every time she jumps up (if you can) will help? The theory is that if the dog jumps, and there's a hard uncomfortable surface there which gives them a bit of a shock (hey! that's not soft!), they won't do it anymore...? Maybe Ruby is too big though?
Tomson used to wee with excitement upon seeing other people, he is now 10 months and has grown out of it. Guest your puppy is only 3 mths, so as long as you can get the housetraining under control the rest will surely follow... good luck and have fun! :wink:

• 4 years later...

One of my Yorkies peed when we came home, when company came over and talked to her. It was so upsetting. I talked to my vet about it and he said it was called Involuntary Urination. He said to follow these steps and it worked.
1. When you first walk in the door, don't look at them, don't talk to them. Ignore them for a little bit and let them get settled down some. Then take them outside and give them attention.
2. Tell guests to do the same.
We did this for a few weeks and it solved the problem. We have not had to worry about it for years.