Dogomania

Doberman puppy

deepseasnake

my girlfriends sister just moved very far away with her new dobie pup, and I really dont feel she can care for it like it should be so I think I'll be droping her questions here for all you dobie lovers to help me out, as I have never had one either.

she is having trouble weaning the dog off wet food, sades the dog, is only a few months old so I told her to wait? is that right? I also told her to not feed her any wet food for 3 days (when the time comes) and let the dog get so hungry that the dry stuff will look like stuffed turkey.

any input on this?

Guest Anonymous

I would suggest to soak the dry food with a little water to make it softer but not mushy. Also, mix it with the wet food and the soaked dry food so as not to cause to much digestion problems for the puppy.

When Sades is eating only dry food, make sure that your sister watches for bloat. This is caused by the dog eating dry food VERY fast and then drinking water right away. This causes the food to expand and Dobies are prone to it.

ANY PICTURES?? :lol: :lol:

I am going to put a big spanner in the works here :o

I would contact the breeder first, see what she / he says.
If i had bred the pup i would be really peed off if the person with my pup didnt ask me with any problems or worries that i may have.
I would mix it in with the soaked dry to start with, then slowly add less and less.
As to eating dry food then drinking causing bloat, i really wish the answer was that simple, bloat is also very uncommon in pups.
Roo

I cant agree with you more there are SO MANY bad parts to the story that I've clued you guys in on it is just best put

she has the pup and she has never had a dog before she knows nothing about the breed other than its cute now and looks mean later, she spent 260$ on cropping the pups ears when they were behind on rent, the crop job was only because they wanted the dog to look tough! I hate what this dog is faced with and I have tried to install a sense of responsibility in her and I think she is starting to grasp what she is in for. I only care about the pup so if you guys could answer her questions as I relay them to you we can all help the dog.

that is assuming she is smart enough to call when things happen and not wait to see me :x

something else,

I noticed and didnt say anything then my girlfriend noticed on her own

the pup does this thing, it could be described as a hiccup without any air or noise coming out of the mouth, her chest and stomach kinda pops full then back down really quick her facial expression does not change and she just kinda plays through it. to me it feels really bad, like REALLY bad, but I have basis for this feeling its just that, a gut feeling. but I cant stand what is going on with regaurd to the dog anyway so it might just be my mind overexagerating

Deep,
Has the puppy been wormed regularly?
I know it is very hard to stand back and watch when your concerns are for the pup. It sounds like pup probalby did come from a mill, as a responsible breeder would be very careful as to who had their babies.
If you need any help, we will all give you 100%.
Cant you have the pup :lol:
Roo

Guest Anonymous

Yeah Roo is right hiccups are normal.... I would worm but she will have to weight the pup first.... Is it due for any shots??? How old is it?? I would ask what all got done when she got the ears cropped?? Were there any shots or wormings given? :wink: