Dogomania

How do I teach my puppy to take a treat gently from my hand?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How do I teach my puppy to take a treat gently from my hand?I'm currently doing training sessions with her, for about 5 minutes each, and she comes when I call, but when I try to give her the treat, she lunges and grabs at it, so I'm afraid to give it to her.I stopped the training sessions hoping somebody could help me, because she would think biting i good if i gave her the treat, but she wouldnt know coming when I call is good.Please help me!

Guest Anonymous

I was told to use a hotdog... put it into your hand so just the tip is peaking from beneath your thumb... when the puppy lunges do not let her have a bite, tell her "easy" and then try it again, saying "easy". If she moves nicer and more gentle let her have a nibble. Keep trying this... I didn't have to do it too often with Hazel, but she is pretty submissive and if you growl at her she cringes.

Guest Anonymous

Oh.Well, now Duck already knows sit and come.I think she's really smart or something(I'm not bragging lol) cause I only taught her once and now she comes from another room and sits whenever she sees a treat.

i did the whole easy thing with my puppy. i put the treat in my fingers so it was just barely sticking out. he was a big lunger. he liked to bite. it only took a couple of times telling him easy and the occasional tap on the nose telling him easy. that worked real well for me. now if we have a treat he takes it very very easy. the other dog wont take the treat if it involves touching our skin with her teeth. when she plays thats another story.

this one is easy...either lay your hand absolutely flat, the treat in the middle, and turn your hand sideways to her, but this is not ideal as children often do not like to follow this direction. the other way is to take a treat she will gladly "work" for (like cheese, hotdogs, steak) and make a loose fist. show her the treat in your fist, keeping the outside of your hand to her, so that she has to push at your fingers with her nose to try to lower and open them. I work up to making them take it from between my fingers, and any brush of the tooth, I move the treat out of reach and gently say, "no bite, no bite." I praise when the treat is taken with just the tongue and lips, and no teeth. (and i've got dogs in all shapes and sizes, and there's not a one that hasn't learned this)