Dogomania

Retrieving?????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Help! Lol, I've tried EVERYTHING! I really would like to get Bosco(my Dobie) started in major Obedience, but he simply refuses to hold anything in his mouth and isn't a "natural" retriever. I've tried rubbing turkey all over the "dumbell", before letting him take it. I've tried opening his mouth and making him take it... He will take the dumbell, but won't hold it. I've tried stroking his mouth, but he drops it, and I've tried holding his mouth shut(which I knew wouldn't work, but I was desperate...). I'm afraid I'm really going to mess him up... He's got everything going except his retreiving... And please don't suggest obedience classes, because there are NONE around here.... Lol. :) Please, any ideas are welcome.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='DobieGal']Help! Lol, I've tried EVERYTHING! I really would like to get Bosco(my Dobie) started in major Obedience, but he simply refuses to hold anything in his mouth and isn't a "natural" retriever. I've tried rubbing turkey all over the "dumbell", before letting him take it. I've tried opening his mouth and making him take it... He will take the dumbell, but won't hold it. I've tried stroking his mouth, but he drops it, and I've tried holding his mouth shut(which I knew wouldn't work, but I was desperate...). I'm afraid I'm really going to mess him up... He's got everything going except his retreiving... And please don't suggest obedience classes, because there are NONE around here.... Lol. :) Please, any ideas are welcome.[/quote]

There are obedience classes and dog clubs in MO but you do have to look for them.
Simple solution - stop using a dumbell for now and find something he DOES like to hold in his mouth. try rolled up socks, paper towel tubes, a leafy branch a stuffed toy - teach him how fun the game of fetch can be and then later get him going with the official dumbell.
check out [url]www.clickertraining.com[/url] for fun ways to train

Guest Anonymous

Yes, they are around, but they are so far away we'd have to drive 2 or 3 hours and he doesn't like car rides... They make him sick... :( But I have tried different things(instead of the dumbell), like a ball he enjoys playing with, but he's just not a "fetch" kind of dog. He always goes and gets it, but never brings it back! Lol, but I'll try again! I think I've figured out a way now! Thank you!! You actually gave me an idea! :D

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

How about a boomerang? :D
Hehehehe
Actually, we got a stuffed squeaky toy boomerang for her which was fun, until she killed it.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are not necessarily known to fetch.
She will fetch when she wants to play, even switching toys.
Sometimes she will find an unsuspecting parent sitting, and nudge us with her toy-of-choice, asking us to either play tug-of-war or fetch.
Unfortunately, sometimes that means that we are sitting in the bathroom!
:oops: