Dogomania

when does playing become tormenting??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been watching my boyfriend "play" with my puppy. The puppy seems to like it most of the time... i guess. But a question came to mind and I knew this was the best place to find out what people think.

When does playing with your dog become tormenting? Like he blows in the puppys face which gets him very excited. He also plays with him with his hands which I tell him not to do because the dog tries to go after his hands... so then he uses an object like a toy. I have learned in the past if you are playing tug of war let the dog take the object so it will build his confidence.

Well, I'm afraid that certain type of "play" will have a negative affect and this puppy is already hard to handle.

What are your thoughts on play like blowin in the puppy's face or letting him attack an object.

He's a large puppy so it can be dangerous sometimes. Last night he was so excited he leap up and bite me... actually broke the skin. I have been using the saying No technique along with the putting him on his back when he gets too excited and also stopping the play and leaving him alone when possible. I can't leave him when we are outside and I am walking him on the lease. Sometimes I just take him home right away, but feel bad because I want him to be able to get out some of his energy. Anyway, this isn't the point of the post....

Guest Anonymous

I don't believe in tug of war games between human and dog. I think 2 dogs can play supervised tug of war but if it starts to get out of hand, it should be stopped. I think blowing in a dogs face is not playing at all. It's just plain teasing, and since your dog gets all riled up so to speak he needs games to give him exercise and stimulation. A walk is a good way to start and since you have a strong dog on your hands, use a choker or pinch collar (but you need to have someone show you exactly how to use a pinch). Do you have formal obedience classes in your area? All dogs benefit from them. Do you have other dog/people that you can work your dogs together?

Play lots of ball with him, and lots of frisbee, but be sure to not let your boyfriend do the teasing. I'm sure he thinks it's funny and doesn't understand the he's teasing the pup

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Mei-Mei']
If I were you I'd nip this behavior in the bud in the nicest way possible. Go buy a big ball or frisbee, wrap it in paper and write on the card "From Fido" (or whatever your dog is named). Then give it to your boyfriend. :D[/quote]

GREAT idea!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gigishiba'][quote name='Mei-Mei']
If I were you I'd nip this behavior in the bud in the nicest way possible. Go buy a big ball or frisbee, wrap it in paper and write on the card "From Fido" (or whatever your dog is named). Then give it to your boyfriend. :D[/quote]

GREAT idea!!!!!!!!! :wink:[/quote]

And lets hope he teaches the dog fetch instead of whacking him with the toy :roll:
FYI blowing in a dogs face or ears is an excellent way to instigate a bite response - not really what you want to be doing with your face in the dog's mouth range!

Well i would say your boy freind needs to go to classes to learn how to treat and play with your dog.if he was my boyfreind he wouldnt go near the dog. :evil:
seems to me he s gone pass playing and is enjoying teaesing him.
dont let this happen or you are going to be left with a dog yoou cant handle.i dont agree with tug og war with a dog,and he should not be blowing in the dogs face this is asking fr trouble. ask him if he would like it if you keep blowing iin is face :roll:

Guest Anonymous

You all are making it sound like her boyfriend is mean..i mean he might be but he also might not know or acknowledge the fact that he is teasing the pup. I think that the frisbee from"fido" is a good idea and so is the obedience classes..but lets not go into thinking that her boyfriend is a cruel and a harsh man!

Guest Anonymous

It sounds a little bit annoying but I wouldn't portray your boyfriend out to be "Mean" or "Vicious". However, the playing with the hands has to stop at once as well as blowing in the face.
My guess is the dog , when blown on the face, turns his/her head to the side as if to say "Enough, leave me be." Your dog will get used to hands being an object of a toy or a play thing and it will do this with everyone. It's a bad habit.
As far as playing Tug-of-War I would be careful too. Playing this game sets up what most Dog Behaviorists call "A Fight for Dominance."
This means that he/she wants Dominance over you the trainer. I know it sounds nuts but it's true. I used to play this constantly with my German Sheperd all the time and wondered why every time I stopped and went to sit down in my chair she would always come back again to me with the rope in her mouth.
She would have the rope in her mouth and push on my knee as if to say" C'mon, let's go...more!" It was hysterical but SHE wanted to be dominant! Be careful with that it's more of a game of Dominance than anything.
I'm not saying be a robot with your dog but have fun with fetch and frisbee's etc. Stay away from the games that will make them hyper in the house and unresponsive to commands due to teasing and Dominance games.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Abusser, in an earlier post you said you were kicking your boyfriend to the curb because he didn't like the pup.......change of heart here? OR a change in the heart of the boyfriend? Puppies will do that to ya!

Guest Anonymous

he really has come around. Like I think I mentioned before he always is wanting to hold the puppy and actually put him in the bed with us. I couldn't believe it.

Last night the puppy actually bite him on the nose... pretty hard. It bleed and looks pretty bad. I had been warning him and he had stopped blowing in his face. but I think it is going to take a little while for the puppy not to play so rough with him. I had told him many times "the dog is going to bite you in the face"...

thanks for you advice. My boyfriend is harder to train than the puppy :oops: and this puppy is the hardest puppy i've ever had to train!