Dogomania

Dog Training in Europe, such well behaved dogs!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, when I was a teen and my family lived in Germany, I remember seeing how all the dogs there, whether in the busy cities, the country side, or small towns, the dogs were extrememly well behaved, it was unbelievable. Their dogs followed them where ever they went (no lead either), never once did they have to look around and wonder "Where's Fido?" or check to see if their dog was still following closely. I remember going to a festival, very crowded, and watching in amazement as this woman walked through the crowd, miniature poodle off lead following behind. And even if a dog was on a lead, he never dragged his owner off to smell something interesting in the grass or on the side walk or a passerby, was either heeling or doing a nice loose lead walk and always sat when they came to a halt.

So I'm wondering how and what kind of training do these dogs go through that they are so well behaved? What kind of techniques (i.e. treats, which I really doubt, raising puppies differently, compulsion mixed with rewards?) do the Europeans use?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Lina Star']Okay, when I was a teen and my family lived in Germany, I remember seeing how all the dogs there, whether in the busy cities, the country side, or small towns, the dogs were extrememly well behaved, it was unbelievable. Their dogs followed them where ever they went (no lead either), never once did they have to look around and wonder "Where's Fido?" or check to see if their dog was still following closely. I remember going to a festival, very crowded, and watching in amazement as this woman walked through the crowd, miniature poodle off lead following behind. And even if a dog was on a lead, he never dragged his owner off to smell something interesting in the grass or on the side walk or a passerby, was either heeling or doing a nice loose lead walk and always sat when they came to a halt.

So I'm wondering how and what kind of training do these dogs go through that they are so well behaved? What kind of techniques (i.e. treats, which I really doubt, raising puppies differently, compulsion mixed with rewards?) do the Europeans use?[/quote]

How odd - when I was in Germany other than my hosts dogs and dogs at the show I attended I saw no dogs at all! none on the street and none near homes we passed as we drove around and no one walking any.
The dogs at the show were not as well mannered as I expected either!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Lina Star']Where were you at then?[/quote]

2 hours outside of Dusseldorf near the Belgian border and up further north at a Schnauzer/Pinscher Club show

• 1 month later...

Maybe it is just how they are brought up. There are a few well trained dogs here too, every day I see dogs waiting patiently outside shops with no lead for hours and there is this amazing blue Merl Collie that sits in the back of its car with the boot open for many hours and never jumps out, just sits and watches people go past. I saw this Red Heeler in Sydney one day that amazed me, if you didn't know, Sydney is PACKED, people everywhere and the traffic is amazing! This lady was crossing the road, darting traffic with a trolley and every step she took this dog did not leave her heals, no lead or anything. Come market day here when town is pretty crowded you see little dogs following thier owners every step.
I think if a dog is fussed over and kept on a lead they learn to expect that when they are let off they run. If a dog is just left to follow and they grow up like this thier whole life they learn to either follow or be left behind.
Lily is the only one of our dogs that uses a lead regulary, Tessa and Puddles just follow, but then again, Lily is only 9 months old so I guess one day she'll be a follower too! :wink: