Dogomania

training attack dogs???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have some discussions with people lately and they were saying that they want to train their dogs to be "attacK dogs". These are not security guards are policemen. They want their dogs to guard their house.

I did not think it was a good idea and tried to talk them out of it. I told them that dogs are naturally protective and don't need to be trained to protect or guard their yard as long as they bonded with the dogs. I thought it was dangerous and that they were asking for trouble. I know that my dogs have never been trained to be attach dogs and they alway protect my yard or house even though I also worked hard to socialize them as puppies. When I lived in Atlanta the guys would show up with their tough dogs and i always thought they looked like idiots, plus caused problems with the other dogs at the dog park at Piedmont Park.

Could you guys give me reasons why you think training dogs to be attack dogs is a bad idea or good idea?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']I have some discussions with people lately and they were saying that they want to train their dogs to be "attacK dogs". These are not security guards are policemen. They want their dogs to guard their house.

I did not think it was a good idea and tried to talk them out of it. I told them that dogs are naturally protective and don't need to be trained to protect or guard their yard as long as they bonded with the dogs. I thought it was dangerous and that they were asking for trouble. I know that my dogs have never been trained to be attach dogs and they alway protect my yard or house even though I also worked hard to socialize them as puppies. When I lived in Atlanta the guys would show up with their tough dogs and i always thought they looked like idiots, plus caused problems with the other dogs at the dog park at Piedmont Park.

Could you guys give me reasons why you think training dogs to be attack dogs is a bad idea or good idea?[/quote]

Its one thing to train a dog in the sports of Schutzhund or Ring Sport etc and another to 'attack train'. If these friends of yours own anything at all besides the dog they should realize that having a dog that will bite people means they could lose their home and every penny they have if the dog does bite. They will also lose homeowners insurance etc and likely the dog will end up dead.
The best advice I ever got on attack training was from a person who was an ethical trainer who *did* train protection dogs for specific reasons. He told me that the best deterrent was a trained dog. Not an attack trained dog just a well trained dog! Nobody questions you if you say that the dog who comes, sits, heels, downs etc on command will also guard or protect on command. He was right - I lived in a rotten area with really large dogs that minded me perfectly - I was frequently asked if the dogs would bite and my reply always was 'not without permission' - made people think and made people pretty darn polite too and lots of people petted my dogs and were pleased with themselves for doing it and they marvelled at my amazing control over these huge dogs :wink: My dogs enjoyed it all :wink:

Guest Anonymous

hmm i agree with abusser since u seriously dont need to train ur dogs to be attack dogs since then u are seriously asking for big big trouble
the dogs will be then sooo protective of their house and owners they might even bite people they have never seen before like relatives or friends
its dangerous too for children like maybe if there is a newborn the dogs have never seen before they might attack the baby even though that may not be possible :-?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

My Pittbull is a well trained attack dog. He does not bite orless told to, by me & me only. He is a very sweet dog. He loves children and adults. He does bark when people come, but that is all. He has neven biten someone, that I had not told him to do.

Is this soo wrong?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Mary']My Pittbull is a well trained attack dog. He does not bite orless told to, by me & me only. He is a very sweet dog. He loves children and adults. He does bark when people come, but that is all. He has neven biten someone, that I had not told him to do.

Is this soo wrong?[/quote]
Yes your dog has been made into a weapon for your use,
and that is very wrong :cry:

Hmmmm....I'm with the majority on this one...I don't think its necessary to deliberately train a dog to bite in order for it to be a good deterant.....as someone else mentioned,most dogs if bonded to their families will be protective when they sense the need to be. I think a lot of people(not directed at anyone...just a general observation) misuse the status of having an "attack" dog and it ends up causing all sorts of problems for that particular breed's reputation..... JMHO

Guest Anonymous

Most breeds have a 'guarding' instinct already that increases when they are loved and have a family. I feel that when you train your dog with sit, heel, stay, and etc... you have a good guard dog then. There is no point IMHO in training a dog to be an attack dog. They protect from natural instinct and always have so work at controlling this instead of adding something you cannot even begin to fathom or control if it got out of hand... Much less the fact that your dog has to pay with his life for something he was doing to please you.. :cry:

Man where did that come from???!! Sorry guys if that was harsh but the truth is the truth... :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sashagirl']Ignore the guest Mary...

I personally think that this is a good idea. You now have complete control over your dog. You and your dog understand each other, so I am sure if you were ever in a bad situation and your dog was ever thought to be trying to harm someone then you would know the correct commands to call him off. I think this is the best thing you can do...[/quote]

Sweetie, please don't think that you ever have complete control over your dog. These guys are free thinkers, they know what's going on and act accordingly. Even the best trained dog can get off track sometimes. It's not his fault, he's just working out a situation and thinking that his way to handle it is better than you giving him a command. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks sashagirl, for understanding what I am saying. The first pist was befor my dog was trained(I forgot to say that)The last one was after hew as trained.

[quote name='Mary']Thanks sashagirl, for understanding what I am saying. The first pist was befor my dog was trained(I forgot to say that)The last one was after hew as trained.[/quote]

I'm a bit confused by this, the first post was made on
1st August at 02.25 in Aggressive dogs, and the next one on the same day at 04.58 in Training attack dogs,
Surely your dog could not be trained as an attack dog in under
3 hours :o :o
Roo

MMmmmm.....there is something odd going on here......?? :o
Who is your 4 year old Jordan, and i believe you said you are 13 years old ????????? :roll:

[quote]Most breeds have a 'guarding' instinct already that increases when they are loved and have a family. I feel that when you train your dog with sit, heel, stay, and etc... you have a good guard dog then. There is no point IMHO in training a dog to be an attack dog. They protect from natural instinct and always have so work at controlling this instead of adding something you cannot even begin to fathom or control if it got out of hand... Much less the fact that your dog has to pay with his life for something he was doing to please you..

Man where did that come from???!! Sorry guys if that was harsh but the truth is the truth...
[/quote]

Jacksmom for president!!!!!!! This guarding instinct was specifically bred into Boerboels and in opinion, you wont get a better controllable, big dog :wink:

Guest Anonymous

The only thing you need remember when it comes to even thinking about "attack training" your dog is this......You should be the head, the leader of the pack, you are the alpha, and as part of the dogs social structure they protect thier own. I would never question my dogs ability to protect me if they felt I was in danger. They are the sweetest things on earth, but if someone where to make me uncomfortable that in turn would make them uncomfortable. This is all you need as your protection. You need never to train your dog to put you, your family, or guests at risk.