Dogomania

Even more of an UPDATE ON GIZMO~~ Spay Date ~~

GizmoRedNosePit

Well I took her in to the Vet's this morning and she got a check up and I said that she as been limping around on her back leg (she dug up the planter a couple days ago and that is when it started) and the vet said ok there are a couple things that it could be and the worst thing it could be is Valley Fever, well I was like JUST MY LUCK, so they took x-rays to see if they could see anything ($54.00) and then it came out negative, but she wanted to check ou withthe hips also, and I was like if it's negative then she most likely just sprained her muscle or something like that.....I dont have the money to just go x-ray crazy lady...I wanted to say that...she is fine....BUT other than that, I will get her back tonight and she will be fixed! So hopefully nothing goes wrong during the surgery, all that I can hope for is no phone call all day long. :-? But we weighed her and she is 42.2 lbs! She is getting bigger, the vet said that her growth plates in her legs are starting to close or heal , basically she is done growing upwards and now it's really gonna start with the growing of her head, neck, and all muscles!! Yeah

:D :) - Well everyone I have called the vet and they could not get Gizmo in for the surgery until July 24th....SO lets all hope Gizmo doesn't go into Heat before that!! o.k. Well I just thought I would tell anyone...if anyone cares!

No food the night before after 6:00 - 6:30.
Drop her off at 7:30 and I should get her later that night....so I hope they are good to her....

When I get her back will she still be a little knocked out and out of it?

My dad is gonna let me borrow the truck so she isn't all squished up in the 300!

Do many dogs chew on their stitches :-?

awwww, yeah she is gonna get lots of love the daybefore and a bath and a brushing and get to play in her pool, maybe the last time for a while and we are cutting down on the laser so she doesn't even remeber about it when she is healing, and she'll play with the sprinklers....all the things she wont be able to do for a while...ohh and how did I forget the Dog Park!.....well all I can do is hope for the best!!

Guest Anonymous

so gizmo will be about 7 months old by then? Is that the age dogs are supposed to be spayed? Is it the same for large ands small dogs? I cant remember when Freckles was spayed. I know people have discussed this before but i was just wondering what you guys came up with?

[i]so gizmo will be about 7 months old by then? Is that the age dogs are supposed to be spayed? Is it the same for large ands small dogs? I cant remember when Freckles was spayed. I know people have discussed this before but i was just wondering what you guys came up with?[/i]

Allmost 7 Months.....Most places I called asked if she was at least 5 1/2 months old...so I guess that what they should be....But I have heard they can get fixed at any age like puppy wise....before 5 months....but that wasn't for me! Yup same for all sizes of dogs!

K - Thanks!! I might worrie a little bit but everyone will be here! :D

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='GizmoRedNosePit']:D :) - Well everyone I have called the vet and they could not get Gizmo in for the surgery until July 24th....SO lets all hope Gizmo doesn't go into Heat before that!! o.k. Well I just thought I would tell anyone...if anyone cares!

No food the night before after 6:00 - 6:30.
Drop her off at 7:30 and I should get her later that night....so I hope they are good to her....

When I get her back will she still be a little knocked out and out of it?

My dad is gonna let me borrow the truck so she isn't all squished up in the 300!

Do many dogs chew on their stitches :-?[/quote]

Yes she is likely to be a bit zonked - anesthesia takes a lot out of you and depending on what is used she may still be getting rid of some of it.
I find dogs given ketamine seem to be tripping a bit still when they get home.
So plan a quiet comfy place for her to sleep it off :-)
The only dogs I've ever had chew on stitches were ones where a small infection had set in (unbathed dogs done at shelter spay clinics) but some dogs do try to rid themselves of stitches - so you may have a dog in a 'lampshade' for a bit ;-)

What was that K?? I'm all confused!! LOL Yeah I'm hoping I'm not gonna have to go buy one of those!! They are goofy! But what ever I have to do! Does anyone know where I can buy a year supply of Heartworm medicine?? I buy mine a the vets..and they are going to give me a year supply, going to try to find a cheaper one...they are kinde of exspensive!

Thanks everyone!! Hopefully she is crate trained before she gets fixed..she is doing really well, she doesn't even jump up on the bed anymore! :D

Well everyone I have a question...I went to the dog park and a fellow dog owner (Owner of "Rocky" the Boxer) said thathe had to stay the night, becasue they had to go in farther because they had to find something on him, you know what I mean!, and that night he was at the dog park....should I even take a chance? I dont think I'm going to but I heard that and I was amazed...let me know what you all think....please dont rag on "Rocky's" owner because I think of her as a friend......

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, that was really mean of me.. but I could not resist. Don't worry! Shes proubly not even noticed your not there with all those smells around her! (whoops... shes not a beagle)

WELL she came home still drugged up but not that bad, she was happy. BUT she will not and has not eaten anything but a very little amount of cottage cheese, and she finally drank some water....and she also has pucked three times....I called the vet and that is normal and she was acting alittle weird when she was breathing and they said it could be either pain or her coming of the Anesthtic. She is doing better....god I feel so bad that she is in pain and I cant do anything but wait and get her to eat some food.... :cry: :-?

Update soon...........

Guest Anonymous

Gizmo,
just to let you know about why Rocky recovered so quickly...
Taking male parts out is a lot less invasive... on dogs I belive it's just one slit and a little pull (Oh don't groan, they don't feel a thing!) But when a female is spayed they open up her tummy and take all her female parts out... and tie up tubes and then they sew her back up again. (I got to see these proceedures alot in the year that I worked at the vets... :o ) So Gizmo has alot more to deal with, loss wise, then your male friend Rocky (though rocky might miss his more :lol: )
As said before, just give her a quiet place to sleep and lots of love... and lots of water. If she doesn't eat the first day that's Ok, but if she continues not to eat contact your vet. As long as she gets some fluids the first day all is well.
Lots of love for your smiley Gizmo, and hope she recovers soon! :wink:

Well Update!

She slept fine I guess....I was out cold. But my hubby woke up a couple times and made sure she was ok! What a sweety! But she was drinking water last night.....and this morning when she woke up we caried her down stairs and then I got her food ready....she is very picky all of a sudden but I gave her some yogurt and canned dog food with rice....she wouldn't even touch the food with fresh liver in it... :-? ....thats her fav. ohh well maybe tomorrow!

Thanks everyone for your good luck kisses!! Gizmo will be sure to get them! Yeah, hopefully she isn't in as mcuh pain as yesterday, she has gotten her antiinflamitory and pain meds....she's sleeping like a baby!!

The vet called this morning to make sure she was ok after I called them yesterday.....so that made my day that they do care! :D

Thanks again everyone....be back tommorrow!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='GizmoRedNosePit']Well Update!

She slept fine I guess....I was out cold. But my hubby woke up a couple times and made sure she was ok! What a sweety! But she was drinking water last night.....and this morning when she woke up we caried her down stairs and then I got her food ready....she is very picky all of a sudden but I gave her some yogurt and canned dog food with rice....she wouldn't even touch the food with fresh liver in it... :-? ....thats her fav. ohh well maybe tomorrow!

Thanks everyone for your good luck kisses!! Gizmo will be sure to get them! Yeah, hopefully she isn't in as mcuh pain as yesterday, she has gotten her antiinflamitory and pain meds....she's sleeping like a baby!!

The vet called this morning to make sure she was ok after I called them yesterday.....so that made my day that they do care! :D

Thanks again everyone....be back tommorrow![/quote]
she might have a sore throat from being tubed for the anesthetic - usually clears right up pretty quickly and once she is not groggy eating etc should be back on schedule

Well Gizmo is doing ALOT BETTER!! But, since her leg, she is still on STRICT REST for about 10 days, she's going crazy and so am I! But the vet gave me medication to keep her chilled out, so she has that, but I take her out and go pee and we walk the yard, without running, to my best ability! But Gizmo is doing fine....Be back in a couple days for another update IF needed! :D