Dogomania

BARF diet

science_doc

One other novice question which might have already been covered, but here goes.....does anyone use the BARF diet. I have been thinking that I might like to use this diet for my future dog as well as my two cats, one of which is really fat and can't seem to drop weight despite diet and exercise. I know there are tons of books and websites on the subject, but it's so much nicer to be able to have conversations with people who have actually tried things like this diet.

Thanks a million for all the input so far, now I can stop harassing co-workers with non-stop bable about dogs

:D

I would LOVE to afford to feed the BARF diet!!! It has so many positive aspects to it, but it is so expensive!!! Well, for a 19 year old with two rather large dogs it is.... Although I don't feed completely on a BARF diet, I do feed as much raw chicken as I can afford ontop of dry food every day. Have you seen what they put in that stuff??? I don't want to be feeding my dogs commercial food, its horrible, but I think supercoat is good, it had "chicken" and "beef" specified which means no dog!!! It also has rosemary as a natural preservative, chicken meal as a main ingredient, kelp and garlic added and it is cheap!!! Its the best I can afford, but I'm already starting to save so I can feed a top quality, expensive diet for the whole time leading up to Lilys pregnancy and for the few months after she has pups.
Does anyone know if its safe the feed a pregnant dog a BARF diet if its used to commercial food? I'm guessing it should be fine if she's used to eating raw chicken everyday anyway....
I think newfie mom feeds one of her dogs on BARF.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='science_doc']One other novice question which might have already been covered, but here goes.....does anyone use the BARF diet. I have been thinking that I might like to use this diet for my future dog as well as my two cats, one of which is really fat and can't seem to drop weight despite diet and exercise. I know there are tons of books and websites on the subject, but it's so much nicer to be able to have conversations with people who have actually tried things like this diet.

Thanks a million for all the input so far, now I can stop harassing co-workers with non-stop bable about dogs

:D[/quote]

Have you had your cat checked for thyroid problems or diabetes?

A dog or cat that eats fresh chicken, one that they kill, is totally different from eating raw chicken from the store. Store bought chicken, if not packaged or handled correctly, could cause severe illness or even death to your animal. Salmonella is the one that I would worry about.

The overweight cat has been to the vet several times......once at least for an anal gland scare. I think that anal glands are without a doubt the worst part of pet ownership :-? There appear to be on the surface no other problems with the cat other than she is really lazy and a spayed female. We trying our best to get her to run around more, even going so far as to try a halter and taking her outside (she has been an inside cat her whole life).

As far as the BARF diet I too was worried about bad bacteria growing on the surface of the meat, but the things I have read suggest that preditory animals like cats will often eat old kills suggesting that they have inate protection against bacteria. These types of concerns are exactly why I wanted to talk about the cost/benefit and risk/gains with others who have made the switch. Thanks for your comments and please add more :D

An easy, quick and effective way to kill surface bacteria without cooking the meat or the bones is simply to pour boiling water over the raw meat, don't soak, just leave it long enough to kill surface bacteria. So easy yet so effective.
As for raw eggs, don't feed raw egg white, as raw egg white can stop dogs from producing certain enzymes (or something like that, either way, they are bad). Instead seperate the yolk from the white and cook the white and add the yolk raw.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']I would LOVE to afford to feed the BARF diet!!! It has so many positive aspects to it, but it is so expensive!!! Well, for a 19 year old with two rather large dogs it is.... Although I don't feed completely on a BARF diet, I do feed as much raw chicken as I can afford ontop of dry food every day. Have you seen what they put in that stuff??? I don't want to be feeding my dogs commercial food, its horrible, but I think supercoat is good, it had "chicken" and "beef" specified which means no dog!!! It also has rosemary as a natural preservative, chicken meal as a main ingredient, kelp and garlic added and it is cheap!!! Its the best I can afford, but I'm already starting to save so I can feed a top quality, expensive diet for the whole time leading up to Lilys pregnancy and for the few months after she has pups.
Does anyone know if its safe the feed a pregnant dog a BARF diet if its used to commercial food? I'm guessing it should be fine if she's used to eating raw chicken everyday anyway....
You made this post only 2 or 3 weeks ago, and yet now you are an expert.
All you are going on is what you have read, you have no experience of long term feeding :oops:
Yet in the dog food too rich questions you make it look like you know it all. what have you quoted from and not named copyrights again.
I think newfie mom feeds one of her dogs on BARF.[/quote]

I got a little confused reading the last post,
and had to go back to the quote and read that,
me thinks that a response is in the middle of the quote, how confusing :o
But please remember WE DO NOT ALLOW RUDENESS ON THIS FORUM,
be it guest or member, and everyone is allowed an opinion.
Roo
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, well ignoring guests rudeness, I have since done extensive study and talked to a GREAT many people who have been feeding BARF for years and years, breeding on BARF and using BARF to correct allergys etc, so what I am saying is not just stuff that I have made up, it is based on real life storys and studys that have been done. Do you think that I would feed my dogs based on anything less?
You seem so determined to make BARF sound bad and to make me sound like I don't know what I am talking about, but where have you stated what you feed your dog? Why do you think it is so much better? You say I didn't know much about BARF two months ago, what studys have you found prooving that what you feed is superior?
Or are you just a dog food representative trying to cover the fact that BARF really is the best way to feed a dog?