Dogomania

Biggest Dog Breed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am interesting in the largest dog possible. I would like it to be loyal and preferably not be too much maintenance. For example I would prefer less walking with more grooming. This will be my first dog so I do not know too much, so any help/comments/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Guest Anonymous

Why do you want a big dog? Most big dogs requre more walking and less groming. It sounds like you want a toy dog but bigger.

Guest Anonymous

A big dog with a lot of grooming huh? An afghan hound requires a lot of grooming. But then again they are hard to train and need lots of exersize.

I would suggest if it is your first dog you shouldnt get a really large dog, no bigger than say an German Shephard or a Doberman. But if you really do want a big dog and you do alot of research etc a Saint Bernard or a Burmese Mountain dog would be good, or better yet, a needy dog from a shelter.

Guest Anonymous

first of all u should ask urself can u handle a big dog?big dogs come with strong strength....
u could get a medium sized dog theyre not that strong
most big dogs are short coated and need tons of exercise
what kind of climate are u living in? the climate should also be livable for dogs
is this ur first time taking a dog? u should always start with a dog u think u can handle so a medium dog would be perfect for u like a cocker spaniel or a irish setter an irish setter is a good dog for u they are not that big and not that medium sized and they are not small and they need some grooming not a whole lot :wink:

Guest Anonymous

:D Hi Skunky butt, I am not sure it is the largest breed, but one of the largest I know. I am speaking of my beloved St. Bernards. I own one and now, I will never own any other breed. My St. Bernard is so loyal that it amazes even me. He has trained well, and obeys fairly well considering he is only 6 months old. He knows many commands already and I have trained him on my own.
He has already rescued me from a rattler so I know he is smart.
I hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous

Irish Wolfhounds are big dogs.

Hum....makes me wonder why someone would come to a forum for advice when they have all the information at the tip of their fingers.....called INTERNET!?

Figure out which breed will work in your lifestyle, home, yard, etc...then, come back to the forum for advice on that particular breed.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='newfiemom']Big dogs are a lot of work. They also cost more and make bigger messes. They also tend to had more health problems and live shorter lives than average dogs. Do you mind drool, snoring and shedding? Are you prepared to take the dog to obedience classes? All big dogs require some sort of formal obedience training and socialization with humans and other dogs. I have three average sized newfoundlands and one extra large. I know you won't have the cost and work load associated with four but even with one, there is extra cleaning (including picking dried slobber off the ceiling and finding dog hair where you never knew if could be), extra cost (dogs over 100 lbs. require two heart worm pills-my two males that are 150 lbs use the 51-100 and the 26-50 so it comes down to $35 per dog), any kind of medical procedure is more expensive too. Professional grooming cost more with a big dog as well. Although my guys are not very active, some big dogs are and do require alot of exercise and an outlet to channel their natural instincts (what they were bred to do). Where will the dog sleep? Will he stay indoors with your or outdoors (not recommended but if so, he will need adequate shelter). All of mine sleep and stay indoors with me. Where do you live? Do you have a fenced in yard? Believe me, I love big dogs but there are so many things to consider before buying one. You also have to take into account they potential genetic disorders the dog my have. Hip and Elbow dysplasia, heart problems, eye problems, allergies, cystinuria, Wobblers, Cushings and so on. Please be sure in you really want a big dog. I would hate to see such wonderful dogs end up in rescue.[/quote]

Answer the questions in this post and I feel we could help a little more. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Skunky Butt']I am interesting in the largest dog possible. I would like it to be loyal and preferably not be too much maintenance. For example I would prefer less walking with more grooming. This will be my first dog so I do not know too much, so any help/comments/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...[/quote]

I strongly suggest a Gund or better yet a Douglas Dog [url]http://berlinbear.com/douglasdogs.html[/url] as perfect for your requirements

[quote name='Anonymous']Hum....makes me wonder why someone would come to a forum for advice when they have all the information at the tip of their fingers.....called INTERNET!?[/quote]

I guess for the same reason as the rest of us post... to get oppinions and LEARN! You could look at 1000 internet sites and still not get the same advise as a forum would give you, when posts are put in here it is open to discussion, not just a few pages of useless information you could really do without.