Dogomania

Foods = Health Problems

GizmoRedNosePit

I have a question..How many of you give your dogs a raw egg like 1 a week or so to brighten up thier coat?? I know alot of people that do and I just found

Raw Egg:
Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

I know the Salmonella....but it makes Gizmos coat so much better looking and stronger but softer....sooooo :-?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='GizmoRedNosePit']I have a question..How many of you give your dogs a raw egg like 1 a week or so to brighten up thier coat?? I know alot of people that do and I just found

Raw Egg:
Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

I know the Salmonella....but it makes Gizmos coat so much better looking and stronger but softer....sooooo :-?[/quote]

the amount you are feeding probably won't bother the B vitamin absorption - quantity counts in these things :-) but you can always seperate out the yolk which is the nutritious part and give only that
You cannot tell what improves coat unless you do it over a many month period - I think its 4 months that it takes for a nutritional additive to be seen to be working.
Honestly some oil added weekly to the diet will do the same thing - safflower oil is pretty good a teaspoon or two in a week for your size dog would be fine. Spread it out so you don't end up with a dog with the runs!

• 1 month later...

I have also read what Aroura said, there is sufficient biotin in the yolks to make up for them having the white part. I give mine raw eggs, usually Sunday is my 'big' breakfast day. I will crack one whole egg, then add the whites of two more, thats my part of it. The remaining two yolks and one other whole egg get whipped up for the dogs. I do cook my portion! The little yella dog chases her bowl across the floor to make sure she gets every itsy bitsy drop of egg.