Dogomania

American Labs?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK folks, here's a question. My husband and are just beginning the process of looking for a lab. We have talked to many people who have told us that ther are "English" labs (shorter in height and has a shorter nose) and "American" labs (taller with a longer nose). We prefer the look of the "American" lab, but we can't find any books or websites that make this distinction. Is there such a distinction? And if there is, are there any websites I can go to to that will refer my to reputable breeders for that type?

This is driving us crazy, so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Noelle

Labs are Labs, there are no seperate breeds, they are all the same.
In some countrys though, breeders may aim for a slightly different standard, so the breed differs between countrys. I've noticed this alot while researching Boxers, although nothing is said about it, looking through the websites from different countrys I noticed that the Champion Boxers differed slightly in size, shape and stockyness etc.
If you are after an 'American' Lab, simply buy one from a reputable breeder in america, and I'm sure you'll get what your after :D

Guest Anonymous

Its kinda like beagles. You have two varitaries.. the 13 in and the 15 in.. but they are still a purebred beagle!

ARe you in USA or UK?
If you are in the uk then look for a lab from working stock, not show stock, although all are labs they can look quite different.

Guest Anonymous

Some breeders are breeding for a little bit taller, more leggier dog --- their excuse is so the Lab will be able to get in the boat more easily and won't have a tendacy to pull the boat over. A die hard duck hunter told me this. The "boat" labs as they are called are not bred for show, but for hunting.

Guest Anonymous

The American Lab as people have started calling them is a field trial line of lab. They are taller and usually leaner than an English Lab. English Labs are shorter and have a thicker body. Field lines tend to have more energy and last longer on a field trial than English(show) Labs. I have had both "styles" (although they are not really classified as different styles of Labs) My 'American' weighed 70lbs at 4 yrs old and Jac my English weighs 65lbs and he is only 6 months.

You will find more information looking for Field Trial lines that is were the distinction lies in Labradors!! Although many breeders are training multi-purpose English Labs now who have titles in Field and Show.... :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']The American Lab as people have started calling them is a field trial line of lab. They are taller and usually leaner than an English Lab. English Labs are shorter and have a thicker body. Field lines tend to have more energy and last longer on a field trial than English(show) Labs. I have had both "styles" (although they are not really classified as different styles of Labs) My 'American' weighed 70lbs at 4 yrs old and Jac my English weighs 65lbs and he is only 6 months.

You will find more information looking for Field Trial lines that is were the distinction lies in Labradors!! Although many breeders are training multi-purpose English Labs now who have titles in Field and Show.... :wink:[/quote]

Thank you so much. I was about to tell all of my friends that they are nuts. :)

You mentioned that you had both "styles"...Did you find that there a huge difference in their temperment? A breeder of the "English Lab" told me that the "American" is much more hyper.

Guest Anonymous

They to me serve two different purposes one to hunt in a field all day long and the other to show in the ring. :)
My 'American' could run all day long and play all day long but loved to hunt in the field behind the house.. :)He was always looking for something. My English (which you will hear more) would rather be in the house on a vent.. He loves to sniff out things but after say an hour wants back in the house. He wants to chew everything!!! But this is a Lab for you. :D He has bursts of energy were as my American could go and run and play all day..
The 'American' Lab has the ability to go longer than the English in some cases. I feel one of these would be in a hunting or trial situation. Of course the 'American' weighs less and is taller therefore making it easier to get through brush and etc.

Was my 'American' more hyper than my English? No. I would not call it hyper. To me hyper is running around and bouncing off walls! He was more headstrong.. I suggest early training.. He loved to hunt even though we never hunted..He was the best mouser I had ever seen in my whole life!! :D Full of energy He loved..Swimming in the lake, playinng ball, walking, fetch, anything....... My English(Jac) has chewed more actually both can so buy chew toys galore!! He has been a challenge but loves the vents in the house. He is definately bigger by far. He is probably as headstrong at times... All in all they both have the Lab personality which is what you want.. :wink: An Einglish will be the one to curl up beside you at 2 years old were the American will be hunting for something!!! :wink: I do not call it Hyper. But I guess that depends on your defination of hyper... :D

Here are some links:
[url]www.marksalot.com/Puppy.htm[/url]
[url]www.working-retriever.com/home.html[/url]
In working retriever central you can go to the photos and look at the Pics of labs you will see the 'Americans' :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Good I am glad!! Your welcome!! My hubby said he loved both 'styles' but given a choice he would rather have an 'American'!! :wink: