Dogomania

No Bark collars...yay or nay?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi!
I searched for this topic but didn't come up with much...sorry if it's a repeat.
I have a 4 mo puppy who apparently barks all day while I'm gone to work :roll: . My neighbors tell me this. They are not complaining or mad at me, but I'm sure it's not pleasant to hear this all day. And it's the same whether I leave her inside or let her go in and out via the doggie door to my fenced in backyard. She's not sick or in pain or hungry or thirsty...I think she barks out of boredom and that she wants me to come home.
I am tossing the idea around of getting an anti-bark collar. But I know that static/shock collars are highly controversial and know that there are others out there (citronella spray and the sonic/sound types) and wondered if these work as well. I would never want to hurt her or her feelings and I know that barking is the dog's livelihood and natural, so I'm not sure if this is a remedy. I don't want to zap the spunk out of her!
But i also don't want her barking all day.
I take her to doggie daycare 1 day/week and so she's by herself 3 days of the week which I don't think is THAT bad.
I would appreciate comments/advice.
I went to Petsmart tonight and was baffled by all the choices. I'm scared of the idea of shocking my dear little girl.
I would consider trying the sonic type, but if it doesn't work, then I don't want to waste $50.

Anyways, thanks for your comments!

Guest Anonymous

Your dog is rather young for this...at 4 months I would check further into his problem...which could just be loneliness. But if you are going to use one, I would recommend the sonic type.

You can also get another dog to keep him company.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sheesh']Hi!
I searched for this topic but didn't come up with much...sorry if it's a repeat.
I have a 4 mo puppy who apparently barks all day while I'm gone to work :roll: . My neighbors tell me this. They are not complaining or mad at me, but I'm sure it's not pleasant to hear this all day. And it's the same whether I leave her inside or let her go in and out via the doggie door to my fenced in backyard. She's not sick or in pain or hungry or thirsty...I think she barks out of boredom and that she wants me to come home.
I am tossing the idea around of getting an anti-bark collar. But I know that static/shock collars are highly controversial and know that there are others out there (citronella spray and the sonic/sound types) and wondered if these work as well. I would never want to hurt her or her feelings and I know that barking is the dog's livelihood and natural, so I'm not sure if this is a remedy. I don't want to zap the spunk out of her!
But i also don't want her barking all day.
I take her to doggie daycare 1 day/week and so she's by herself 3 days of the week which I don't think is THAT bad.
I would appreciate comments/advice.
I went to Petsmart tonight and was baffled by all the choices. I'm scared of the idea of shocking my dear little girl.
I would consider trying the sonic type, but if it doesn't work, then I don't want to waste $50.

Anyways, thanks for your comments![/quote]

A big NO to the anti bark collars (they only seem to really work on stupid dogs - smart ones figure out how they work and kill them - and neither shocks nor stinky sprays are very kind!) and a suggestion instead :-)
How about looking into doggy daycare - either a play program at a kennel or training center or someone coming in at noon to exercise your pup.
Remember a tired pup is a good pup. Exercise the pup more and it may well sleep while you are gone!
Things to leave to keep an anxious pup busy include a Stuffed Kong, a Buster Cube and similar things that are ball shaped, a BIG bone to chew that cannot be splintered and so on.

Another dog could be an idea, but not nessisarilly a good one. It may just add to the problem, and would definatly add to things being destroyed around the house!!!
You sound like you have a lucky dog, going to playgroup and all. Most owners would just ignore the problem if their neighbours didn't mind.
I would say your best bet would be a stack of toys, the ones mentioned in the previous post are all good ones. Also try leaving tasty treats around the backyard for your dog to find while you are away. A sandpit for the dog to dig in is also a great idea and provides hours of entertainment.
Consider, if you don't already have one, a fence that allows the dog to see whats going on on the outside world. The dog may bark more at people walking past, but will be less likely to bark at anything and every noise he hears.
Also take the dog for a morning walk to sniff and explore the neighbourhood before spending the day in the yard. Its more a matter of mental stimulation than wearing the dog out.
Give it two or three months and then try a citronella collar if it still isn't working. Make sure there is a money back guarentee before you buy it, as they only work on around 9 out of 10 dogs. Otherwise, look around for someone else who has one so you can test it out.
Shock collars aren't really cruel, if your dog is smart it will learn after only a few barks that it shouldn't be barking. Once the dog learns you can take it off so if you or your house is in any real danger the dog can give a warning back without being punished for it

Guest Anonymous

My inlaws have a Malamute and they love to talk. He is of the giant size Mal and his bark is deafening when in the house. Well, they neighbors started to complain about his LOUD bark and they received a warning from the police about the noise. They used the citronella spray around his neck whenever he was in the backyard. Everytime he barked, it shot a little spray from under his chin. Well lets just say that after about a week of wearing the spray he got the hint and cooled down on the talking. I think this is a humane way of dealing with a problem but i do oppose the shock collars as this is training through pain. And no, i dont consider the spray a form of pain just an unpleasent experience its just like a check on the leash. Opps, did i just start another topic? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i beleive your pup is barking because it is lonely. I would not neccessarily reccomend getting another dog, although it is a possibility. boredom is another reason your dog may be barking, and you can leave a treat ball and some chew toys to keep your pup busy. it can be expensive, but you can hire a dog babysitter or doggie daycare. you can find someone who is home all day with thier dog (or just has a dog that is home all day, too) and leave the two of them together.

[quote name='Anonymous']Aroura,
Is that your dog's picture in the window?[/quote]

Yep, thats my dog Tessa. She's the kelpie/blue healer/bull terrier cross that I got from the pound when she was only 5 weeks old. What I don't understand is, how could anyone dump such a beautiful dog?

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the helpful tips. I think she is just lonely & bored. I might take her to daycare twice/week instead of once/week for awhile, till she gets a little older.
I agree...a tired pup is a happy pup!
She is so intelligent so toys keep her busy for only so long (I work 10-hr days, 4x/week).
I think a sandpit is a good idea, too, as she is a big digger. :o
Ideally, having a doggie sitter stay with her all day would be perfect as she is a people-lover, but I can't afford to do that every day.

Sheesh where you live..I'll watch her $25.00 a day! Her and gizmo can play! LOL

Gizmo went through this stage from 3 1/2 months to about 5 1/2 months....she would just bark at absolutly NOTHING! It is a stage at least I think. But just give her lots of love and toys and the walk in the morning is good for her and you! Good luck and get cat balls that make noise or something that makes noise puppys love that....maybe make a video tape of you and her and people talking....and play it while your gone...I have to leave the t.v. on or the radio when I leave gizmo for a while...

But she is fine now...the t.v/radio is allways on though...good luck!

I think I must be very lucky, I have only ever heard Lily bark like 3 or 4 times, and that has been while she was playing! She's 7 months old now and I'm not even sure she knows what the point of barking is! Tessa and Puddles will bark when people walk by and Lily will just run around the yard in circles wondering what all the commotion is about!!!! She makes up for it though, she spends 24/7 whining, whining to come in, whining to go out, whining for food, whining because she's restless, whining because she's tired, or simply whining for the sake of whining!!! Any ideas how to stop this? I think she just likes the sound of her own whine! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I am not very lucky! I knew when I was buying a Beagle that he would be vocal.. but people you have NO idea! Last night he woke me up and would not shut up so I finally had to go and sit with him the rest of the night. I have also noticed that when I don't take him for his 3 mile daily walk he bays all night. I think he just gets way to much enegry and dosen't know how to get rid of it. So from now on I am always walking him! My mom wants to get him a shock collar, and she wants me to buy it. I'm sorry but I have to have them outside and thats streching it! I had to just say no mom. And we worked it out. Every time he will not shut up I have to go outside and sit the rest if the night with him. :x

Guest Anonymous

DON'T USE SHOCK COLLARS ON YOUR PUPPY OR ANY DOG FOR THAT MATTER, if you shock your puppy you may never ever get back the love it feels for you, this is probably why it's barking, your gone and it's lonely...I recently tried the bark collar ( the one with the citronella spray)on my 7yr old English Setter who barks constantly when outside, which in turn starts off the other dogs...after half an hour I had to take it off her, she was in a terrible state, she was quite truamatised, I'd rather put up with the barking....I would agree with what others have said about toys, a stuffed kong is really good, and a buster cube is a great idea, but please put in light dried food or you will end up with a fat puppy....You say your neighbours aren't complaining, could you not enrol their help,??
if they could come round and play with her for a little while, or maybe take her for a short walk,....you could try leaving her for a little while and then returning, making a big fuss of her for being good, then next time leave her for a little longer etc until she knows that just because you have left, it doesn't mean you are not going to return....
Hope this has been of some help..good luck