Dogomania

Can a dog catch a cold and give it to humans??

I know this is a goofy quesiton, but in the last two days Gizmo has couged a couple of times and then she just goes on these sneezing escapades!!

Last night she started sneezing and then my boyfriend started sneezing and had his nose running....I dont know what to think of this only that these two have teh same allergie...I'm not sure but I'm sure you smart people could help me with this!! LOL

Thankyou -- "Gizmo" :D

Guest Anonymous

I don't think they can pass stuff along but gizmo might have something worse that a cold. She might have kennel cough. A neighbor dog had kennel cough and thats what he did. And every time he tryed to bark he would start coughing.

Or it could be allegries.

Guest Anonymous

Dogs do not get "colds" like humans do. But they can have a variety of upper respiratory infections which can not be passed to humans.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='nicki']Dogs do not get "colds" like humans do. But they can have a variety of upper respiratory infections which can not be passed to humans.[/quote]

Exactly right - the viruses are different bugs used to different hosts!
However the idea that both could have the same allergy is a good one!

yeah when she barks she's fine it's just sometimes she will cough like she swallowed a bug or something...and today we went to my grandmas out in the dessert/country what ever you want to call it and she was sneezing every time she went out side and even inside....so i dunno......

maybe both are allergic to the same thing??? I dunno! LOL

I had a though yesterday that she might have kennel cough - the vet worned me about that if she goes to the dog park alot (and she does) so maybe i talk to him about what to do...he said there is a shot but it only lasts 6 months and is 45 dollars??

animals and people can't suffer the same diseases, but the symptoms can be the exact same. this winter my kitty got a runny nose and sore throat and lost his voice...and I had the exact same symptoms. he got better about two weeks before I did. hmph. but...more to the subject of your post...a dog can pick up a human cold, harbor it, and re-transmit it without suffering any symptoms. in fact, repeated colds have been "treated" by not allowing the dog to kiss your face anymore. i don't think dogs sneeze in a response to allergies. sometimes dogs sneeze to alleviate tension...you will sometimes see a dog sneeze after breaking a stare-down with another dog. sometimes dogs get a condition in which thier vocal cords become paralyzed, this is caused by pressure to the vocal chords or nothing at all...coughing for no reason can be indicative of injured vocal chords. my golden was on a tie out and wanted to play, so she ran to the end of the chain, later, she kept on coughing, and since my lab had coughed shortly before being diagnosed with a fatal cancer, we rushed her to the vet and sure enough, the golden HAD hurt her vocal chords. she was put on antibiotics and couldn't wear a collar or be on a leash or tie out for awhile.

Guest Anonymous

Peng1zrule----actually you are wrong when you say animals and people cannot suffer the same diseases. I own ferrets and they most certainly can catch a cold or flu from you. I have read this in several books, been told by my vet, and have experienced it. As for dogs I don't know but I do know in my case I am very careful when someone in my household catches a cold or the flu.

Mandy[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

it could be an allergy of the same type or the dog has kennel cough and you are have an allergic reaction or have a cold.

[quote=Kahlua&Helmsley'sMom]Peng1zrule----actually you are wrong when you say animals and people cannot suffer the same diseases. I own ferrets and they most certainly can catch a cold or flu from you. I have read this in several books, been told by my vet, and have experienced it. As for dogs I don't know but I do know in my case I am very careful when someone in my household catches a cold or the flu.

Mandy[/quote][/quote]

oh, right...i was only talking about dogs and cats...forgot about ferrets and rodents such as hamsters and guinea pigs..they DO catch colds from people.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='"Peng1zrule

oh, right...i was only talking about dogs and cats...forgot about ferrets and rodents such as hamsters and guinea pigs..they DO catch colds from people.[/quote']

And there are things other than colds that can be caught from cats and dogs :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dogs and humans can get the same diseases. A few of the diseases that a human can get from a dog:

Staphyloccocus aureus
Streptococcus Pyogenes
Worms
Sarcoptic mange
Brucella

A truer statement would be that humans cannot pick up VIRAL infections from a dog, because they do not have the same receptors on their cells.
The common cold would be an example of a virus.

• 3 weeks later...

Gizmo-

I have vaccinated for kennel cough myself and it is VERY simple since it is not an injection. It was a little squeeze vial that you squirt up their nose. I bought it at a feed store and it was inexpensive. Hopefully, where you live you can buy stuff like that close to your house, if not there are a lot of catalogs where you could buy it even cheaper! :D