Dogomania

Vet visit!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Jac went to the vet today and Mr. Vet said that Jac is a large boy. He has grown fast and that his muscles and tendons are having trouble keeping up with his bones. So basically Jac suffers from 'growing pains', WHICH he will grow out of. Thank you Mr. Vet!!!! :D He did recommend doing a prelim. of his hips and elbows in 6 to 7 months which is fine because we were going to OFA him anyway. But Mr. Vet wants to check for any Dysplaysia because of his growth. I have been feeding Puppy Chow large breed but will be switching to adult food now as recommended by our vet. I was just glad to hear that there were no seizures. As for the bumps on his back down his spine..this appears to have come from bumping and running under the futon and the sofa while playing Kentucky Derby and tag with the Cocker. Although I checked for sharp edges Mr. Vet said if he does it repeatedly it will eventually wear on his hide and since it was generalized to one certain area it was not an allergy or etc.
We just went to a new vet recommended by family because my appt was moved again by the other vet! :x But I really liked this one he was very good and looked at every possibility.
All in all 'Craigs Flapjac n butter' AKA Jac is a BIG health boy minus the scuff on the back!! And boy is mom relieved! :D :P :D :P :D

Thanks for asking ! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks so much!!
Newfie mom... I was told by another vet :x that the large breed puppy food would be the best to feed him. It would give him everything he needed and not let him grow toooo fast!! HAHAHA Yeah right! Mr. Vet today said he had seen adult females as big as Jac! I said he is part stallion and part Lab :P :D :P I have a horse LOL!
How do you like the pic of my baby!! :wink:
Thanks for all the support !!!

[b]Jacsmom, he is gorgeous :D
I was also advised to give my Bullmastiff large breed puppy food when he was a youngster, many larger breeds do grow up fast, and certain foods which have the necessary ingredients do help!....being over excercised, when pups can course joint problems like Hip Dysplasia!

I think i was too cautious with mine though!
I didnt want him to get that condition.
[/b]

Guest Anonymous

just a question on nutrition....
I have an aussie, and while I wouldn't say she comes close to a mastiff or even a lab I do worry about bone problems. The breeder assured that there would be no problems, (health garentee....ok I can't spell that word today!!!) but I still wonder about food. I am currently feeding her iams lamb meal & rice formula, the pet store said this was a good choice for an active puppy... are aussies active? :lol: Anyway so far I have seen nothing negetive, she moves great and her coat is almost chinchilla soft (an evening brushing keeps the gunk out!) Does anyone else have experience with this brand? This other reason I went with this brand was the availability in case we move...
thanks

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='newfiemom']Jacsmom...He's adorable!!! Some vets will tell you that sort of thing. Every newf breeder I talked to told me to just give adult food instead of puppy food. I'm glad I did. Three of my newf (Emmitt, Thor and Emma) are all standard newf size. Jaster, on the other hand is almost the size of a bear. He stands 32" to the shoulder and weighs 195 lbs. With him especially, I'm glad I listened to the breeders. His hips and elbows are good and he is just the right proportion. I really am finding out that some vets really do not know alot about nutrition. :([/quote]
Right now Jac stands approx 18" at shoulder and 56lbs not bad for a 5 month old (as of Thursday). I know alot of Lab breeders will do puppy food for say 5-6 months and switch to adult. Then several are doing the BARF diet. His father weighs 99lbs and mother around 80lbs so he is going to be big. I did ask the vet if he would need any extra supplements (as in vitamins) did you do any of this? He said no..I am not real sure.. Might have to ask some breeders on that one.. Yeah I know what you mean on the vet thing ALOT!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='hazelhover']just a question on nutrition....
I have an aussie, and while I wouldn't say she comes close to a mastiff or even a lab I do worry about bone problems. The breeder assured that there would be no problems, (health garentee....ok I can't spell that word today!!!) but I still wonder about food. I am currently feeding her iams lamb meal & rice formula, the pet store said this was a good choice for an active puppy... are aussies active? :lol: Anyway so far I have seen nothing negetive, she moves great and her coat is almost chinchilla soft (an evening brushing keeps the gunk out!) Does anyone else have experience with this brand? This other reason I went with this brand was the availability in case we move...
thanks[/quote]
I do not know much on Aussies but a health guarantee is just saying that if something does go wrong that you can bring your puppy or dog back and they will give you one out of another litter or some will give you your money back and let you keep the dog. My father purchased a Bloodhound from a well known kennel in our state and it came with a health guarantee and OFA and CERF'D parents and the works. Needless to say she got Hip Dysplasia at the age of 6 months (she was also sold with full registration!!!)Anyway they could have taken her back and received another puppy from the kennel but chose not to because of the attachment to their puppy!! She is now doing better and is spayed to prevent spread of this debilating diesease. I will say however I do look for a guarantee when purchasing a pet but never rely on one. A dog can still get all the inherited things and non inherited things and no one sees it coming at 6 or 8 weeks of age.
I think your are on the right track. Just keep up the vet checks and research your breed.!!

[b]Gizmo, im here with you on this one :D I went through the same with my Bullmastiff in September last year when i had him neutered,....i was worried sick about leaving him...i didnt know if he was going to pull through the anasthetic, but i needn't have worried as he was fine.
I know your dog will be fine too.....so chin up girl :wink: [/b]

Guest Anonymous

I just had my blind Cocker spayed this month talk about worried but she came through with flying colors!! :D Are dogs are tough guys! But I must admit I called twice just to check on her :wink: ! Thanks for the kisses Gizmo gotta go wash off now Jac sents them back!! :P :D :P

Guest Anonymous

I took my Cocker that morning at 7 am and picked her up at 4:30pm. It was done at my vets which is called an animal hospital?!!I did not want to leave her overnight but most places do not do that anymore or at least not around here!! :D

Guest Anonymous

No mine did not have to wear anything around her neck. She never tried to mess with her stitches at all to my amazement~ She did suffer from some razor burn which was relieved with some hydrocortizone cream!! Other than that it was a breeze!! :D

Guest Anonymous

Costs approx. $80 but she only weighed 19lbs!! It goes by weight.

K...Would have loved to have seen that one!! I bet they were mad at you~ whether it was for how they looked or not being able to lick the sticthes! :D

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom'][quote name='newfiemom']Jacsmom...He's adorable!!! Some vets will tell you that sort of thing. Every newf breeder I talked to told me to just give adult food instead of puppy food. I'm glad I did. Three of my newf (Emmitt, Thor and Emma) are all standard newf size. Jaster, on the other hand is almost the size of a bear. He stands 32" to the shoulder and weighs 195 lbs. With him especially, I'm glad I listened to the breeders. His hips and elbows are good and he is just the right proportion. I really am finding out that some vets really do not know alot about nutrition. :([/quote]
Right now Jac stands approx 18" at shoulder and 56lbs not bad for a 5 month old (as of Thursday). I know alot of Lab breeders will do puppy food for say 5-6 months and switch to adult. Then several are doing the BARF diet. His father weighs 99lbs and mother around 80lbs so he is going to be big. I did ask the vet if he would need any extra supplements (as in vitamins) did you do any of this? He said no..I am not real sure.. Might have to ask some breeders on that one.. Yeah I know what you mean on the vet thing ALOT!![/quote]

NO vitamins if you are already having growing pains this will make them worse! Sounds like you found yourself a good vet and I am very glad for both of you :-)
Adult food is what I *wean* on - my dogs never see puppy food of any sort - they grow slow but they grow right and that is what you want :-)
Lean is better than fat when it comes to growing pups.
I must say though that I suspect your dog is not from hunting lines as nobody would want to be hauling that size into a boat after a retrieve!
Glad you are both doing well.

Guest Anonymous

NO vitamins if you are already having growing pains this will make them worse! Sounds like you found yourself a good vet and I am very glad for both of you :-)
Adult food is what I *wean* on - my dogs never see puppy food of any sort - they grow slow but they grow right and that is what you want :-)
Lean is better than fat when it comes to growing pups.
I must say though that I suspect your dog is not from hunting lines as nobody would want to be hauling that size into a boat after a retrieve!
Glad you are both doing well.[/quote]

Jac is a lean pup just large build. He is actually a mix of both lines. Mother is hunting, but a large build hunter I personally wouldn't want to haul in a boat. Father however is English show lines, A very very large boy but Jac is going to out grow him by the looks of it!! :D Thanks for the advice!!It is appreaciated!!!