Dogomania

my dog bite someone!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure why my dog is sometimes aggressive. He was with me for a year. I got him when he was about 10 weeks old. He was rescued, so I'm not sure where he was before I had him. He was abandoned. Could this have something to do with it?
I just moved to Jamaica for a job and had to leave him with my parents who have 2 other dogs. He seems to love it there.

I just went to visit last weekend and my mom just called to say he bit a visitor. There has been a lot of commotion at the house. We're preparing for my sister's wedding in the garden... so there's a lot of visitors, workers, etc.

When he lived with me I worked very hard with him to make sure that he was well socialized and trained. He had snapped at children before, but I never actually thought he would bite.

I feel this is my fault because he left him with my parents. I plan to come back in a year.

Are some dogs just aggressive no matter what or is it my fault???? BTW he is a golden retriever mix.

Guest Anonymous

Goldies are not normally aggressive or biters...although sadly...thru poor breeding some of them are now that way.

What was the situation? Was there any provocation?

Dogs, like humans can be stresses and that may have been what happened.

I would suggest shutting the dog in a room or other place away from visitors.

As to how to socialize, don't know...but sure their are folks here that can tell us.

Guest Anonymous

I don't think he was really provoked. He bite my 80 year old great uncle. He has only met him once before, so he is basically a stranger.

I've seen him act like he might bite before. It was last weekend with an 18 year old boy. The only thing I could see was that he was staring at the dog... making eye contact.

The other time it was my 6 year old cousin who just walked by him or tried to pet him.

Most of the time it seems like a stand off. He also acts aggressively with one of my parents dogs a younger Newfoundland. He growls at him all the time.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry but in my opinion is that any dog that bites a person needs to be put down. Sounds like youve had problems with the dog for a while now. Once they bite they will probably bite again. Hope he doesnt bite someone sue-happy or a dog hater.
i know it would be hard but the best thing to do would be to put him down.

Guest Anonymous

Put the dog down ? What are you a cretin ? !! Ever heard of Muzzles ?????? Your the one that needs putting down! People access this site for help for their animals - Putting the dog down does not "in my book" reflect help !

Guest Anonymous

I agree with the previous post..muzzle the dog ..but only in situations that could be problematic not all the time

Guest Anonymous

People biters should be put down. You said you have had trouble with him biting people. What are you gonna do when he bites a child? If it was my child I would call the police, animal control... and they will put him down. There are enough good dogs that dont bite out here. Only irresponsible dog owners keep people biters.

Guest Anonymous

What do you do when your child hits another child? Are you scared that he/she will take a knife next time and stab somebody? Will you lock it up? NO, you will work with the child. I am not saying that a dog and a child is the same but it is always possible to work with them. Watch the dog very closely. Is it may be fear aggression? Many dogs get nervous around kids because they move fast. I had such a dog. She also snaped at people that took her toy. Did I put her down? NO WAY. Did I lock her up? NO. We still went to the parks. I had friends work with her and I had a training color on her. She learned very fast that if she snaped she would get a little shock. So a simple NO was all I had to say after a short period of training. Dogs will do what they get away with. They will test you. Just like children. Give the dog a chance - just be very careful. Put him on a leash close to you when you feel like he will do something. .....

Guest Anonymous

I would definately not kill him. I think putting a muzzle on him might be a good short term solution... when people come over.

He seems not to be scared... I've seem dogs that have fear aggression before and Serge (my dog that bite) seems to be more territoral or protective. I had a behavorist assess one of my other dogs, so I will work with someone with this dog. He's smaller so it didn't seem to be as dangerous. He's about 45 pds.

It's hard to socialize him with children because I don't want a child to get hurt. Like I mentioned before he snapped at my cousins (only the smallest ones... 5 and 7). My family won't let me bring him to anymore family functions.

I understand that muzzles will keep him from biting but will it make him more aggressive? I realize he will need training in addition to the muzzle.

Guest Anonymous

I,for one, would not put the dog down ....but biting is certainly not acceptable. Here is what I would do:

1. see your vet...sometimes biting is a manifestation of an underlieing illness. There is a doggie "prozac" too.

2. consult your local kennel club or other source for a good trainer. I do not thing a muzzle is a good long-term solution...but honestly don't know what is.

3. Keep the dog under direct control when he is around folks...and keep him away until you have consulted some experts.

How old was the dog when you got him?...any mistreatment in the past?

Guest Anonymous

Serge was a rescue. He was about 2 to 3 months old. He was in very bad shape when I got him. I have no idea how long he was on his own. Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

if the dog is unstable, untrustworthy, it breaks my heart to type this...but an unstable dog needs to be put down. if the dog felt threatened, he was justified...my golden was abused by small children when she was under a year old...when a child comes in, I put her up. She always *feels* threatened by children. If the visitor was standing over him, leaning over as if to kiss his face, shouting, waving his hands...anything that might make the dog feel intimidated, the dog WAS justified in biting.

This dog has an issue - goldens are not naturally nasty. Something set him/her off and made it this way. You need to take this dog to a behaviorist - this is not a natural reaction for this type of dog. He may feel deserted, scared or threatened. Dogs bite for two reasons - they are threatened and defending themselves, or they are defending.
Did he feel threatened, or did he feel the need to defend?
If he felt threatened, by what? If he was defending, from what? This dog needs to be handled in a special way - YOU need to be TOP DOG - he answers only to you - and if you are top dog, he has no reason to bite.
Take him to see a behaviorist and work out his problems. You dont need to put him down; you just need to find out what is causing his problem and deal with it. If it is neurological, that might mean he has to be destroyed. But CHECK IT OUT FIRST.

Guest Anonymous

I dont know why everyone believes a behavioralist can change this dog around. He already said hes worked with him. This dog has bit children. Luckily not one of mine cause I would have shot him myself. Peopple biters should not be put up with in any kind of way. Now you cant take him to family functions. You cant even have this dog around people without worrying about him biting. With all the people here that complain about the large masses of dogs to rescue I cant believe they tell you to keep a people biter. You can put him down and find you a dog that wont bite. Why take the chances of him biting someone hard enough to do some damage? Why take the chance of biting someone who will sue you? Its not worth it! Dont waste your time or your money. Once a dog bites a person, and this one has bit repeatedly, he should be put down.
And to the person who said something about if a child hits another do you put him down- you said it yourself- You cant compare kids to dogs. A hit from a child is not near as bad as a bite from a dog. (stupid to compare the two)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, why not just put him down and get another? After all, there are soooo many dogs out there that you can surely find another you like and just forget about it...

Typical of a "disposable" society. When it isn't easy anymore, just toss it out. Sickening. I will agree that SOME dogs would be better off put down, but my problem is with the "any dog who bites." ANY? My dog bit a kid climbing my fence. She was inside MY yard when she nailed him (GOOD FOR HER!). This little brat has tormented my dog for years by tossing things at her over the fence, rushing the fence... anything to agitate her? So when he offered her his butt to bite, she did it. His folks did as you stated... they called animal control and the cops. Guess what? HE got into worlds of trouble for tormenting my dogs and I found out I may have had just cause to haul them into court for trespassing had they pursued this. Of course, we now have to post beware of dog signs up because of this little brat, but if he climbs MY fence in an attempt to gain access to MY yard again, I hope she bites the &*%$ out of him. If they want to get crazy and do something to my dog as you stated you would, believe me, vengeance would be mine. I can be crazy right along with them and I don't like children any more than you like biting dogs. Nosiree, I do not believe in this ANY dog who bites should be put down business. Some need it. Some don't. It's just not fair to categorize.

I think it wouldn't be unrealistic to keep this person's dog away from unsuspecting "victims" until, if ever, a solution is found. We have a fence AND a hot wire a foot inside of it. Anyone who comes through/over that NEEDS to be bitten!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your opinions. I would never kill my dog without trying everything I can to help him with his issues. He is a part of my family.

I am surprised at how easily some people would kill their pet or someone elses. They obviously don't have the same bond that some of us have with our animals.

I wasn't with him when he bite my great uncle so it's hard to say what provoked him.

Guest Anonymous

May be you are the one that is stupid. If you read my email I said that you cannot compare those two but that you would work with the kid and so can be done with a dog. A dog is still a living thing. It is not something that does not feel or is able to change. Because of people like you we have a lot of problems. You see something you don't like and say...Bye, Bye. Why waste my time with it if I can get something new around the corner. Very nice attitude. I'm just glad not everybody gives up that easily. ANd by the way. I have been hit by child when I was a child, hit my head and had to go to hospital. I have also been bitten twice in my loife and needed a bandage. Well, let me think. Which one was worse? Sure a dog bite can be bad but a child can be just as crual.