Dogomania

Skin problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a Shepherd mix that always develops a skin condition when it get hot. I live in Texas and it is very humid. He starts losing his hair starting with his legs and then chest and sides. It feels like he got scratched on those spots and then loses his hair. He also starts smelling pretty bad. I give him Flax ssed and Fish Oil. I feed himn Natural Balance food. But his skin is still getting worse. Does anybody have any idea what it could be and what to do? The vet tells me I can give him antibiotics. Sorry. I won't do that.

Guest Anonymous

Antibiotics will or migt clear up his skin but as soon as I stop giving it to him the problem will come back. That is not what I want to use antibiotics for. They are a strong medication and I want to save them for when he has an actual infection. I did use oatmeal shampoo. No change. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

I have an Akita who has a similar problem. Every summer he has a skin irritation on his back (half of his back comes up in hugh scabs. We had tried the shampoos, creams, lotions you name it. We took him to several vets. They said to check for fleas. Which we did over and over again (we have another dog who would have fleas too, if this was the case), but no problem with their skin. They put it down to a flea allergie. Which means that (if this is the case) it only takes 1 flea to bite him and all his skin flares up. That flea may die straight away (as he is treated with Frontline, to kill fleas which is very affective) but it is too late as the saliva from the flea has caused the irritation already. Fleas only seem to come around in the summer months. Heat spots also have an effect on some long hair breads.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for the advice. I guess I never thought about flea bites since I don't see any on him. Well, I have a Boxer and I would see fleas on her. But I will treat my yard and my carpets. My boy does not have very long hair but he has the shepherd double coat which is very very thick. So, I thought my be fungus builds when it gets humid? Thanks again for the help. If anybody can think of anything else I would appreciate it.

Guest Anonymous

Avons Skin so Soft bath oil is good for a dogs skin. Put it in a spay bottle with water, add eucalyptus oil if you want and spay it on. Make sure you get it through the coat to the skin.