Dogomania

Unusual Question-What kind of breed?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a question that may seem a bit silly, and it just came off the top of my head... but I've always wondered....is there such a breed in the world that was created by sexing a basset hound and a rott weiler? Would it just be a mix breed?

The black and tan coon hound seems like it would be the kind of dog created from basset hound and rott weiler.

Does anyone know what type of dogs were used to create the black and tan coon hound breed?

--Bracco--

Guest Anonymous

I'm not a breeder and I will never breed.
But I've always been fascinated with breeding. It is just something I would love to know about.

How do people make certain breeds?
Don't you sex two dogs to create more than one mutt and have those mutts reproduce to create the breed? Am I missing something here?

I read in books that some dogs are a "combination of different type of dog."

The Shiba Inu is a fascinating dog....I wonder what kinds of dogs were used to make it.

--Bracco--

Guest Anonymous

Hey maybe they even used some basset hound???? I have always wondered how they got the dalamtion and the min. pincher. Anybody know??

yes, what you said about crossing lots of dogs to make mutts and then breeding the mutts is correct, but its not as simple as that, they must all have specified charateristics, they cant just pick any puppy from any litter. They have to conform to a certain standard.
I cant help you with the shiba inu or the dalmation, although I do know that the dalmation played a part in producing the australian cattle dog. And I do know that the boxer is a result of continually crossing an old english breed called the Bullenbeiser (bred to rouse up cattle before they were slautered as they used to believe that the meat was more tender if a cow was scared before death...) crossed many times over with Bulldogs, which is where boxers get their white markings from. Also another obvious cross is the Labradore x Poodle producing the labradoodle!
Luv Jeanne :smile:

Guest Anonymous

Aroura,
Maybe you can answer this question for me. Why are people so against "breeding mutts?"

I read a few posts from a few weeks ago and people seemed to be against "breeding mutts." I don't understand this whole concept. Maybe you can help me understand?

[quote]
On 2002-05-09 15:36, bracco wrote:
Aroura,
Maybe you can answer this question for me. Why are people so against "breeding mutts?"

I read a few posts from a few weeks ago and people seemed to be against "breeding mutts." I don't understand this whole concept. Maybe you can help me understand?
[/quote]

I'm not sure, I don't understand really myself, exept for the fact that the pups cant be sold for as much and can never be showed. But if the breeder is prepared to be responsible and make sure the pups go to caring homes who will treat them as part of the family, thats what matters, not whether the dog is purebred or not. Dogs that go to animal shelters arent there because thier not purebred, their there because the people who bred them didn't make sure they went to good homes, and the fact is, mongrels are more likely to be dumped because the people who buy them only do because they are cheap. I love my mutt just as much as I love my Boxer.
But the other problem about cross breeding is that once a registered purebred dog breeds with another breed it can never be showed or bred again. Dont ask me why, its just the way it is.
I personally think crossbreeding is a good thing is you don't plan to show your dog and are prepared to make sure the pups go to loving homes because a crossbred dog is less likely to have genetic problems than a purebred dog.
But there is still the problem of those pups breeding and the pups going to bad homes, the way I see it, it doesn't matter what breed of dog or crossbreed or mutt is produced, it is up to the breeders to make sure the dogs go to good homes. It is not the breed of dog, but the person who breeds it and the person who buys it that makes the difference to whether or not the dog ends up in a shelter.
I hope that all makes sence and I didn't carry on too much!
Take care,
Jeanne

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Bracco- I definitely know what you mean- I have felt the "anti-mutt" sentiment several times as I've been browsing today! Would love to think that doggies lovers could all just be free to love whatever type of pup we choose to have in our lives, but that doesn't appear to be the case sometimes.

As for the actual breeding of mixed breeds, I'm sure some of the concern expressed is due to the wildly varying results that can come from very different mixed breeds, particularly in the case of no-known parentage dogs. When people take two mixed breeds, of which they don't know any of the history, there is huge potential for problems, both in disposition and more so in health. In my opinion, it's not so much the mixing of breeds, but the lack of history that should concern folks....i would venture that two "purebreds" of unknown history have an even larger potential for problems than two mixed breeds in the same boat. In either case, responsible and caring breeders will know lineage as well as a fair amount of genetic science, whether they are breeding for show quality pedigrees or mixed breed companion animals. (heck, my collie breeding friend can trace her dogs back way farther than i can trace my own family :D )

Guest Anonymous

[b]Zavier and Aroura[/b]-I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt the anti-mutt feelings around here. Honestly? I'd rather have a mutt because they usually out live full bred dogs. In order for a dog to become part of a pure breed, it would have to imbreed with another dog just like it. Imbreeding isn't good for the dog and can cause health problems in the long run. Most mutts do not have a history of imbreeding in their bloodline,(sometimes they do) which make them usually healthier than pure bred dogs. I don't know, anyone wanna comment and prove me wrong? I've been wrong before, it wouldn't be the first time.

In other news, (regarding my original question in this forum topic) there is actually a dog that's half basset hound and half rott weiler (or looks like it anyway) and it's not a mutt! Here's a pic

[img]http://psychotainted.tripod.com/blackandtan.jpg[/img]

That's right, it's an enlarged picture of the little icon under my alias. Introducing the Basset Des Alpes aka Alpenlandische Drachsback (sp?). This breed was originally bred in Austria! People most often use this breed for hunting. Unfortunately, it isn't as popular in the U.S as it is in Europe, which is why you might not see these dogs walking down the block in your area. I think, in my opinoin, that it is a very beautiful dog, and I wouldn't mind owning one, if it weren't for the expensive shipping cost.

Guest Anonymous

I'm not exactly sure why they are aganist breeding mutts. Here is why I think. If you walk into a pound they are mostly mutts, or poorly bred pits :cry: If you want to breed a mutt I think you should have at least 8 people lined up to take a pup and only if they will not dump it off at the pound later on in its life even though its hard to tell what they will do! Also if people would just get their mutts spayed or neutered then it would fix a lot of the proublem! I don't know if people just don't want to spend the money or what.

Guest Anonymous

Also I thought I would through this in. You cannot show mutts. Only in 4-h and other small clubs like that. But if your going to show then go ahead and put some money into a good dog but if you just want a good pet go adopt one from the pound!!! Mutts usually have hardly any health proublems compared to purebreds who usually have some.. more than others.