Dogomania

PITS & CATS

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I HAVE A QUESTION, I HAVE TWO CATS A 3YRS ONE AND A 9MONTH OLD ONE AND WE JUST GOT A MONTH OLD PIT BULL. WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GET THEM TO GET ALONG TO TOGETHER? OR WHAT SHOULD I DO TO KEEP THE PUPPY FROM ATTACK THE CATS?

THANK YOU VICKY
[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

The full name for the pitbull is American Pitbull TERRIER. That last word automatically means that cats are not a prime household condition. Any terrier can have problems with cats. No amount of training can take a terrier's (any terriers) instincts. However, knowing your dog well, constant supervision, and well-practiced training can help. When I got my apbt puppy, she was so little that to bend over her, to teach her things, was intimidating to her--I let her have another month to become used to me, instead of training her right away. BUT, I started teaching her two things right away--one was to "sit" so that she would not jump on me, and the other was to "let go." She will release any item I tell her to--the sole purpose of teaching her to "let go" was in case of a fight or an attack on another animal. Toys, food, and leashes (as she will pick up and carry anything) are all under the "let go" command. She has, so far, been very gentle with the cats, but she still makes me nervous--she chases them, you can see the "terrier glint" in her eye when she even sees them running, but when she has caught them, she nibbles them until they are rescued--it is the kind of submissive grooming a pup performs on an alpha. But she is an exception and not a rule! Other commands, such as "no" (meaning to stop a behavior) and "come" which is to be obeyed at all times and never, ever, ignored, are also helpful.

Hi Vicky.
The best way to get your cats and puppy introduced properly, is by getting a cage for the pup so that he can go in there with his own bed, food and water, toys....this will be his own where he will be safe and secure. This is a good training aid, the cats will be able to sniff and look round, as well has your puppy, they wont be able to come to any harm. Leave them for about half an hour or so. then bring your puppy out put him on a lead..sit down with him if he tries to run or jump at the cats...hold his head with him facing you and use a sharp NO....this can be used everytime he does. Do not punish him. When he just sits there you can praise him!. Do this often, in no time he will know what (No) means, then you will be able to let him wonder round sniffing the cats without scaring them. *I bought all mine up this way* and they get on great. Please never leave them alone when your out, just incase something does happen. My dogs have there own cages and the cats have there own room.

GOOD LUCK!
Shannon. Bullmastiff Owner, Researcher/Adviser of the Breed. Lover of all Animals!

Guest Anonymous

Cats and American Pit Bull Terriers can get along. Just have to socialize them. I would still never leave a Pit with a cat alone.
Keep in mind that even with proper socialization you may not be able to have them around each other.
Also, APBTs are not really terriers. They have no terrier blood in them whatsoever.

Guest Anonymous

I am curious about the history of pitbulls. If there is no terrier in them whatsoever, as an earlier post said, can someone tell me from which breeds they WERE developed? I always thought they were terriers.

Guest Anonymous

pitbulls DO come from a terrier(s) BUT, the exact terrier was not recorded. it may even be a mixed terrier or even several terriers. no one recorded the exact terrier.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-04-26 17:03, Anonymous wrote:
pitbulls DO come from a terrier(s) BUT, the exact terrier was not recorded. it may even be a mixed terrier or even several terriers. no one recorded the exact terrier.
[/quote]

OKAY! I am so sick of people talking like they KNOW. American Pit (space) Bull Terriers are NOT terriers. Way back in the day peasants were not allowed to own hunting dogs (which is waht pit bulls were originally used for, contrary to popular belief) so they called their pits terriers so they could have them.
People, please do some reading before you make a post. My breed get so much crap because people that dont know act like they do.

Guest Anonymous

If you really have a 4 week old pup you already have a serious problem as he left his mom and siblings WAY TOO YOUNG to have learned critical things like bite inhibition during play.
With any luck your cats will intimidate him into leaving them alone and the young training will stick with him as he ages.
I strongly recommend making sure your pup plays with all types of dogs, attends classes starting with puppy kindergarten and that your cats have some dog free safety zones available to them for when the pup gets a little older.

[quote]
On 2002-04-20 01:00, Anonymous wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION, I HAVE TWO CATS A 3YRS ONE AND A 9MONTH OLD ONE AND WE JUST GOT A MONTH OLD PIT BULL. WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GET THEM TO GET ALONG TO TOGETHER? OR WHAT SHOULD I DO TO KEEP THE PUPPY FROM ATTACK THE CATS?

THANK YOU VICKY
[email][email protected][/email]
[/quote]