Dogomania

dog obsessed with red cats

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This seems like a rather amusing and quirky problem, yet it sends our entire household into an uproar several times a day.
The background: We own three cats, including a petite, fluffy, red kitty named peppermint. These cats were in place when we brought Blackberry, a dachshund, into the house as a puppy. It wasn't long before Bberry developed an infatuation with Pmint. Bberry would chase Pmint constantly--but not to eat her, to play with her. It was comical to see her efforts to befriend this creature, who totally despises Bberry. It's like Pepe LePew and the cat he loves. This was bad enough, but it got ten times worse a year ago when a cat moved in a few houses away from us. This is a Super-Peppermint--she looks EXACTLY like our cat--same white bib, same shade of red, same everything, only ten times larger and more robust. We call her the Clone, because we don't know her real name. And this cat isn't shy. She loves our yard and spends all her time prowling around fearlessly. (She also causes enormous consternation among our cats, but that's another story.) Anyway, Bberry must have thought she'd died and gone to heaven when she first saw the Clone. Her goal in life is to "befriend" the Clone. She spends all her time looking out the windows, hoping for a sighting. When the clone is out and about, Bberry dashes from window to window, barking and whining to keep her in her sights...continued

Can I just say that even if your dog is friendly with these cats. I would advise not to let him chase them...It might seem funny to watch but disasters can happen not from your dog, but from other dogs who hate them, your cats being friendly with your dog is likely to think that all dogs are the same.
I have 3 dogs in which one is a Bullmastiff, and 3 cats, the dogs are never allowed to chase or jump at them.
Please take my advice, otherwise you could find your cat or the neighbours cat dead in someones garden.