Dogomania

can a pup that kills cats be reformed? HELP!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have rescued several pitbulls. They are generally loving and devoted dogs. My newest, Damien, is also very loving and nonagressive. He has played with my cats when I have been home, and even slept with them. However, I came home from work two weeks ago, to find my kitten was dead-his neck broken. I assumed from the marks on the dog's face, that the kitten and he had played too rough, and dismissed it, even though it hurt. Then, the other night, I came home to find that my two adult cats were dead- killed in the same manner. The dog's face was torn up. Now, my question is- what do I do about the dog? Will he go after my other dogs next? He acts so non agressive - so I don't understand what is happening. I am keeping him in a pen in the house for right now, but I need to know what I should do. Has he developed an instinct and a love for killing? Please- give me some advice!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Crating this guy while you are gone is your safest bet. My male Akita loves my cat - but my male weighs 80 pounds and the cat 11. Akitas are also hunters and while my female Akita shows no interest in the cat one way or another, my males interest, albeit friendly, I don't trust without supervision. I've also got a cat door leading into my garage so the cat has a safe place to go in the event something were to get out of control, but if I am not home - my male is in his crate.

This guy has aldready killed 3 of your cats - I would recommend providing seperate living quarters at least while you are gone and I would never trust him alone with a cat or small animal or dog again. It is far too easy for them to become predatory, even if in their mind they are playing. From the sound of your guys face - I think it is very evident that it wasn't a mistake that he killed your cats.

Killing can be fun for our canine friends - we have to remember their history before they were brought into the caves of our ancestors, what the particular breed was used for, and these are rescues - you just don't know what their past is.

Guest Anonymous

I love pitbulls but when you arent around they should be seperated from all other animals. Dogs and cats. If you dont seperate them you will continue coming home to dead animals. You should never leave a pit alone with another animal regardless of the situation.

Guest Anonymous

We now have him crated when we are gone, and we are monitering his play with the other dogs- discouraging him when he gets rough in his play. I was, however, able to observe how he plays, and was able to understand now that he was not being mean, in any way. He goes for the neck when playing with my female, Cassie, and he shakes his head and tries to twist the neck, while playing. This is what he did to my cats. he really thought he was playing, and did not understand that he killed them. Even now, he looks for them, so I know that he misses them. Now I can work more closely with him on this behavior in play, and, as I said before, keep him crated when I am gone. It makes me feel better to know that he is not just a killer. He is a sweet pup, despite what he did, and I care about him a lot.
I will send pics of him and Cassie when I can, and keep you all posted on his progress. By the way, he is a dogo argentino/pit, and Cassie is a lab/pit. My third dog, Harley, is a mastiff/pit.
Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

Keep your dogs seperated when your not there, all mine are in there own cages just incase of any accidents. It doesn't matter if they are small medium or large, when left with toys to play with, jealousy can set in' and trouble can start. My 6 year old Border Collie cross tries to jump on and playbites with my 13 year old Westie cross when someone is at home and he snaps at her, but she doesn't give in. So I carnt immagine what they would get up to when left alone. I also own a 2 year old Bullmastiff who is really gentle and loving, he plays lovely with my eldest dog, but even so i would never leave them alone together when we are out, the cats have another room as well.

Shannon