Dogomania

dog loves me but is scared of my brother

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My brother and i have often been asked if we are twins-- we are 4 years apart. My point and question is my dog loves me but is fearful of my brother, wont play with, walk or, go near him evn with treats. i dont see how he would even be able to discern between the two of us other than smell.

what could be the cause of this fear of my brother, and how can i work with my dog to accept my brother like he does me? Thanks- DJ

Guest Anonymous

Dogs pick up on a variety of emotions that we emit, your dog simply may not feel comfortable around your brother for whatever reason. Maybe there was a person in your dog

Guest Anonymous

The problem is unfortunatly not limited to my brother. Bear is most fearful of him though. I really dont know bear's past. i adopted him at seven months and he was a stray in the pound, unsocialized.

Bear is very attached to me like imprinting from old cartoons wher a chick hatches from the egg and the first thing it sees it think is its mother.
This is a double edged sword cuz he is great for me -- very obidient and mindful of what i want from him. But he is a downright brat if im not around, he doesnt mind (as in listlen to) other members of the family and absolutley refuses to walk with anyone but myself. Help?
DJ

Guest Anonymous

You took Bear home from the pound, I'm sure he is very greatful and you are the leader of the pack. He is good for you the leader but I bet he does not think the other family outranks him in the pack so there is no reson for him to behave for them. The first thing is if he show fear of your brother you may want to comfort him, if you do it will reinforce his fear.
First ask your brother to make sure he isn't looking the dog in the eye. You may try having your brother stand outside and you walk by with bear, maybe you need to keep 10 or 15 feet away. If he knows how to "heel" have him in a heel command. If he stays with you praise him, you can then turn and walk the other way and again pass your brother, slowly you can start to walk closer to him. Your brother should be ignoring you and bear and should keep any movement to a minumum.

• 1 month later...

Maybe your brother acts differently when he approaches Bear, or maybe its the different smells thats confusing him, as you both look so much alike.

Ask your brother to spend more time with Bear like you do with him, but instead of you being in the same room, stand just outside the door and peep through the gap, see how your dog responds to your brother.

Shannon
Bullmastiff Owner, Researcher/Adviser of the Breed. Lover of all Animals!