Dogomania

French Bulldogs: A Good Choice?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi. I am interested in acquiring a French Bulldog puppy (the mother had 10 live puppies!).
After some Internet research, it seems like these dogs have many health problems.
What is your opinion on "Frenchies"?
What should I look for when choosing a puppy?
Thanks for your help.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

What kennel is this mother from?

[quote]
On 2002-03-01 10:51, Anonymous wrote:
Hi. I am interested in acquiring a French Bulldog puppy (the mother had 10 live puppies!).
After some Internet research, it seems like these dogs have many health problems.
Thanks for your help.

[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

I can tell you that French Bulldogs are wonderful pets. They have great personalities which is why they are known as little clowns. You need to buy from a good breeder who watches the health issues. I have never had any problems but like any breed you have to make sure you are not purchasing from someone who does not watch out for the dogs health. I am somewhat cautious about a litter of 10. That is almost unheard of since Frenchies generally have rather small litters.[quote]

On 2002-03-01 10:51, Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for your help.

[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Anonymous']WATCH OUT FOR BAD BREATHERS, IF MUM IS ONE YOU WILL HEAR IT, WHAT COLORS ARE THEY?[/quote]

Whats wrong with bad breathers? Does it mean they have health problems? My boxer snorts and makes alot of funny noises when she breathes, some people don't like dogs who do this but I have found through owning one that it just makes them all the more lovable!!! I love her little snorts and grunts and its a great laugh when she gets excited!

I would think by saying watch out for bad breathers ment, soft palates,
and or elongated palates, it would not be just the usual snorting sound but a crisp cackle, bronchal sound, dogs with this suffer terribly in the heat,
bring up alot of phlem, and are often sick, the palate partially blocks the opening to the voice box and in bad cases can lead to acute airway obstruction :lol:

Guest Anonymous

bad breathers in Frenchies is more than problems in heat etc. Elongated soft palate can lead to inadequate oxygen intake, enlarged heart and premature death, And I am very suspect of any one who says they have had a litter of 10 French Bulldogs.