Dogomania

The biggest dog

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What is the biggest dog out there today? I definitely want a dog, but none of those small, little annoying yapping dogs! I want the most GIGANTIC dog available! Which breeds would be what i'm looking for?

Guest Anonymous

Very true Nano...

Researching any potential breed is VERY important, some have high energy, some just want to sleep, others are a little tougher to handle than others. Just as some have long fur that must be groomed daily and others that hardly have any. Everyone has their own personal preference.

To help you narrow down your choices based on a wide variety of characteristics visit: [url]http://animal.discovery.com/guides/dogs/dogs.html[/url].

Whatever you do - don't just get a dog, you'll end up regretting it in the long run. Getting a dog based on how they look just spells out failure and the possibility of another dog being homeless.

Guest Anonymous

You may not want a small yappy dog but why does it have to be the biggest one you can get? Not all small dogs are yappy anyway. I suggest you have a good think about getting a dog because you don't sound very serious. I'm not sure but I'd say the biggest dog was an Irish Wolfhound and big dogs need a lot of time, money and like all dogs they need a lot of love.

Guest Anonymous

dont buy a dog just on size. i can almost gurantee you will regret it. there are many drawbacks to large breed dogs, although there are also many benefits, that you should be aware of before getting a dog of any breed. are you willing to spend an hour a day grooming? do you live with kids? do you have a yard? are you willing to build a 10ft tall fence? are you willing to take long walks [b]every day[/b] even if you have a yard? these are just some of the questions you should ask yourself before getting any dog. and size doesnt always gurantee silence, or needs for exercise, or anything. differnt dogs have different needs. dont make the mistake of getting a dog you're not ready to take care of.

Guest Anonymous

English Mastiff is the dog your looking for..Not yappy by any means and NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE will come in your yard when they see him coming..I have one and love him to death..His father was 250lbs..Is that big enough for ya???? lol

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I THINK THAT LITTLE DOGS HAVE NO USE..ALL THEY DO IS FOLLOW YOU, BIG DOGS ARE GOOD FOR PROTECTING YOUR HOUSE AND YOU...I MY SELF HAVE TWO GERMAN SHEPS, THEY ARNT THAT HUGE, BUT THESE DOGS ARE SMART AND BARK AT PEOPLE THEY DONT KNOW...I WOULD NEVER GET SOMETHING SMALLER. MY FAMILYS DOG IS AROUND 65LBS AND MY DOG IS AROUND 90 LBS, MY DOG WAS JUST BRED WITH A 130 LB GERMAN SHEP, CANT WAIT TO SEE THEM PHAT PUPS LOL

Guest Anonymous

I see another homeless dog in the near future. A dog is a living, loving , caring companion, NOT something to parade around and show off. All dogs yap regardless of size if they are unhappy. A silent dog is a content dog.

Guest Anonymous

Big dogs can be fun but they also have there downs. Bigger dogs usually always have more health proublems. But if you want a bigger dog the irish wolfhound or great dane is about as big as they get. But make sure you find info about that breed and even talk to a few breeders of a few of the diffrent big breeds so you can make sure and get the perfect one. Good luck!!

Guest Anonymous

The Irish Wolfhound & the Great Dane can get very tall but they are not as big as the English Mastiff! [The Gentle Giants!]. I have 4 of them & love them all. No one can come in my yard unless my dogs know who they are! I think that those telling you not to get a dog & other various things, must have little yap yap dogs. The Mastiff pups I have are bigger than those yaps & they are only 7 weeks old! Yes, get a big dog!!!!

Guest Anonymous

I think the pressa canario (in the news lately) are huge dogs but I think the Tosas are probably the largest. However, they are rare and very expensive to purchase and feed. Before you decide on a large dog be sure you have the means to take care of it properly!

Guest Anonymous

Hello,
I have a Tosa and an English Mastiff and they are both HUGE.....the LOVES of my lives...but they are a lot of work. I do have to say that I think the English Mastiff is bigger than the Tosa...the breed standerds will confirm that too. I would get some books and do your homework before making your choice!!!

Guest Anonymous

According to the Guiness Book of Records the Irish Wolfhound is the largest canine height wise, but it's a bit on the skinny side and does'nt look as fearsome as the Mastiff or the American Bandogge/Bandog (which is similar to the Mastiff but it is reputed to have the temperament as the Presa Canario -very vicious).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-02-05 03:08, Anonymous wrote:
What is the biggest dog out there today? I definitely want a dog, but none of those small, little annoying yapping dogs! I want the most GIGANTIC dog available! Which breeds would be what i'm looking for?
[/quote]
Hmm what other traits are you looking for besides size? are you looking for a protective dog? an athletic dog? a barky dog? one that doesn't shed much? Do you like long fur or short, wiry or soft? Up ears or down, long tail or short? what color dogs do you like? Its your other expectations that will influence which giant breed might be best for your home.
Do you know how to find a healthy dog? Giant breeds are prone to a lot of serious skeletal and other health disorders which can be heartbreaking if you get a pup and lose it too young to such a thing.
How big is your car :smile:? I purchased a minivan for my big dogs!
Are you aware that giant pups do things in a giant way :smile:? Its not a puddle its a lake, its not a poop its a mountain (or worse a river!) of poop, its not a little chew spot its where is the sofa? or the curtains!
Do you have any shoulder, back or wrist problems? have you found a puppy kindergarten to help you with your giant puppy? (yes those go together training while young can save your back, wrists and shoulders!)
My big dog's crate is 4'x4'x5' in size - got room for one like that? or where will your dog sleep - got a king size bed :smile: Big water and food bowls and big bags of dog food will need to go somewhere and do be aware all the vet bills are bigger on a big dog!
Will it bother you to lose a dog at 6-8 years old? Many of the largest breeds don't live any longer than that.
There is a lot to consider right down to does big mean tall to you or heavy?

Guest Anonymous

Big dogs also are prone to hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, bloat (which causes death in a horrible way), and these things are not fixed cheap and some not fixed at all! Vet bills are not cheap if you keep a good check on your dog.
If all of this taken in to consideration and train your dog BIG dogs are awesome.

Personally owning a large breed takes up a lot of time and money, unless you do a good research of the different breeds first, you could end up regretting it. I own a 2 year old Bullmastiff who I adore, as well has the breed itself, he is a joy to own. I did a thorough research about the breed before deciding whether it would be my ideal choice, and because of this I can give people advice about the Bullmastiffs needs. (Even though it turned out to be the right choice), large breeds are not suited to everyone, they might have the looks that attracts people to them, but they also come with a price which is there health, Mastiffs as well as Bullmastiffs do get a lot of these problems, which also depends on the care from puppyhood to adult. the major ones are Hip Dysplasia and Bloat, which both can be avoided if the owner takes proper precautions, the minor is Worms and Skin, like insect bites, acne etc, can be treated by your dogs vet. Shops brand are not strong enough for some breeds. And also a good brand of high fibre dog food biscuit is recommended with meat or fruit.

I have given out a little bit of my info, but if anyone would like more. You can email me at the Bullmastiff Discussion!

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']I THINK THAT LITTLE DOGS HAVE NO USE..ALL THEY DO IS FOLLOW YOU, BIG DOGS ARE GOOD FOR PROTECTING YOUR HOUSE AND YOU...I MY SELF HAVE TWO GERMAN SHEPS, THEY ARNT THAT HUGE, BUT THESE DOGS ARE SMART AND BARK AT PEOPLE THEY DONT KNOW...I WOULD NEVER GET SOMETHING SMALLER. MY FAMILYS DOG IS AROUND 65LBS AND MY DOG IS AROUND 90 LBS, MY DOG WAS JUST BRED WITH A 130 LB GERMAN SHEP, CANT WAIT TO SEE THEM PHAT PUPS LOL[/quote]

The thought of you having any kind of dog is a worry, it's idiots like you that get dogs that they neither know about or understand, then later on wonder why the dog has attacked someone....I have only just found this site, so unfortunatly your puppies will have been born by now, god help anyone who has one....If I had my way, I would make sure your dogs were taken away from you and you were never allowed to keep another dog, you are a danger to society

Guest Anonymous

Im not for this guy, but Jackie7 just relax a bit. Clearly this person is not a dog lover, but his ego is attached to his size dog. :cry: :evil:

Tel me where i can get a 130 lb GS - sounds more like an elephant to me :lol:

Oh and by the way, its not only small dogs that yap, some big ones also will drive you up 20 feet walls!!

Also small dogs WILL protect you - my Fox-Terrier will chew up your legs for lunch if you even dare to look at me.