Dogomania

BARF diet

Guest Anonymous

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I guess one of those topics where people love to just jump on each other. How about this. I feed my dog what I want and you out there feed your dog what you think is right. That way I feel good about my dogs health and you can feel good about your dogs health. And that is all that matters at the end, isn't it?

Guest Anonymous

Calling something nonsense without understanding the reasoning behind it is nonsense. The dog food industry has everyone brainwashed in what is exactly good nutrition for our dogs. If you knew what was in some of these so called foods, you would never give them to your canine companion. Believe me, I was once a follower until my Newf had all sorts of allergy problems. I changed dog foods three times before I changed to something completely different. Guess what?!? No more allergy problems.

Guest Anonymous

You will always have various opinions on everything. I heard that feeding meat and especially raw meat to a dog will make it more aggressive. Yes, different foods can bring out allergies in some dogs. But a lot of dogs don't have allergies so regular food should be ok for them.

• 4 weeks later...

My Bullmastiff and my other 2 mongrels are fed on Pedigree Chum Complete Biscuit now. The reason for this is, because Bullmastiffs are prone to skin problems mainly from there diet, I had to change the food about 5 times to find the best one for him, and as so many breeds differ with there diet. I found the Pedigree to be best without the price being to high, he just as to have more fibre in his diet which is plenty of fruit and vegetables, his skin and coat as made a difference since he as been put on Pedigree.

Shannon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I had one of my allergy dogs on the BARF diet and she became gravely ill with salmonella (so says my vet and lab reports). I followed the diet to the letter and bought the books concerning it. It works great for some dogs, but please do not assume it is perfectly safe for ALL dogs. I do agree that most commercial dog food is garbage and have been doing research on what's REALLY in the stuff. Higher prices do not necessarily mean higher quality, though you can bet that high quality will not come cheap. Some commercial dog foods even contain sodium pentobarbital(?) which is the same drug used to euthanize animals. The FDA released a report on this, though it says that the amounts of the drug aren't enough to be harmful. I prefer NONE in my pet's food. Anyway, I feed a high quality preservative free holistic diet and supplement it with COOKED food as per a canine nutritionist I'm working with. This has become somewhat of a passion of mine and I'm rambling, but I just wanted to advise anyone contemplating the BARF diet to be aware that it can create problems for some dogs. I've long since found out that my dog's illness was not an isolated incident...

I have no idea if the BARF diet is good or bad...but...what a unfortunate name!

I would think that the raw meat would present a problem with e-coli and salmonella. I have also been told that bones are dangerous.

You are right though concerning commercial diets. Parts that are culled from human use go into it...and also wonder just where the sodium phenobarbital comes from.

Is there any truth to the rumor that euthanized animals are put into food?

Guest Anonymous

I feed my dog Innova.

I dont have the time to prepare the BARF diet and still have dinner ready at a reasonable time. I do feel that it would be the BEST way to feed him but NOT the only way. It seem to me that the majority of people that use this diet are breeders or show their dogs. I have a regular job and just because i dont feed him human grade food does not mean he is not a part of our family because as you all know he is a dog.