Dogomania

grooming/anal gland treatment

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have an american eskimo dog and we dropped her off today for her first grooming session-the shedding was unbearable. I have never heard of an anal gland treatment until some one at work told me that it needed to be done. I called the groomer and she said they don't always do it, only when requested. That made me think that some people think it's necessary and some don't....it sounds like it would hurt the dog. Does it? Is is a must do? Please help!
Thank you in advance!

Guest Anonymous

Anal gland expression is usually just for smaller dogs,Larger dogs can express them by scooting.....Yes,it can be uncomfortable if the groomer is inexperienced. If you can smell the smell then they are already expressed and the hind end just needs washing. I would'nt recommend it unless you see your dog scooting and not able to do this himself........Casey

Guest Anonymous

anal glands are expressed when there is a problem...you would see signs if one was there...canines shed, and an american eskimo has lotsssss of that beautifully thick coat to shed...trimming, clipping, and shaving do NOT stop the shed - only makes the hairs which are shedded shorter ones...remember that a canine's coat is for insulation in BOTH the heat and cold [if you have seasons], as well as for protection from insects/parasites...a daily brushing [all year long] is the best way to keep shedding in control, esp. during the semi-annual heavy sheds.............miami347

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

As a dog groomer all dogs that come into our shop that have Imapacted anal glands they are expressed while they are in the tub. If the dog repeatedly comes in every 6 to 8 weeks with impacted anal glands we recommend to our clients to have the dog looked at by a vet, as this could suggest an underlying problem. Anal glands should NOT be expressed unless it is needed as this could lead to a pet being uncomfortable after instead of being relieved, hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

Anal glands are a problem in dogs, whether they are small, medium or large breeds. My eldest Westie cross (Patch) had this condition when he was younger and he had to have his emptied by the vet, of course the smell was foul and it does make you physically sick, but sometimes its due to laziness of going to the toilet, which was his case...he hasn't had this problem since though. A few weeks ago my 2 year old Bullmastiff (Charlie) was a bit pongy and he too was taken to the vet, only this was more than just emptying, Charlie had to go under anaesthetic to have the anal sacs drained because of an infection. I was worried about this as Charlie was neutered in September last year and i thought it would be too much for him, but he was done and is ok now....just hope that the problem doesn't come back though. I just have to give him more fibre included in his diet!

It doesn't hurt when they have it done....Patch seemed fine!

Shannon

Guest Anonymous

I have a german shep who has had to have his anal glands expressed a few times by the vet. He certainly does not like having it done but it was nessesary. My vet was willing to teach me how to do it, however I was more comfortable having her do it as needed.

As a dog groomer, I express anal glands regularly. On dogs that come every 6-8 weeks I do this about every other time. Otherwise every dog gets it done. My own GSD and dalmatian get baths about every 3 months and get it done every time that way they do not do it themselves on my carpet. As stated above, if it is not done it can lead to infection. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

The anal glands are a secression gland with a nasty smelling perfum that is sprayed during times of stress, such as a skunks spray. if the dog can not release them themselves then it is positively painful. They need to be squeezed quite often on most american eskies :roll: