Dogomania

Chewing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My dog (American Eskimo) was a year old in Aug..
My husband and I have been crate training her-so for the 8 hours we're in work she's in her crate & at night she is in her crate. We feel bad that she spends so much time in her crate so we decided to experiment with keeping her out for the day. We limit her to just one space and clean anything up that she could possibly chew. She isn't much of a chewer when we're around-she usually is just fine with her toys and pays no mind to the other things around the house.
Anyway, the first day, she found a fake plant to chew (something she never bothered with before so we didn't think to move it) and a box full of pictures she chewed. I told her no as I showed her each thing that she did and decided the next day to try again-this time I moved the fake plant (what was left of it) and removed the box from where it was. This time she pulled books off the book shelf and photo albums and chewed those all up...now I am not about to move furniture and leave a room bare for her because I KNOW she knows better. I am not sure what to do-should I Just leave her in a cage for the rest of her life?
If we leave her for a few hours, she's ok-but it's when we go to work that she does the big messes. We leave her toys out for her to chew on, but she'd rather find something else for her to chew. What should I do??
Thanks in advance!

Guest Anonymous

adequate execise is essential...a tired pup is a good pup, and puppies have energy to spare...so be sure that sasha is well-exercised before you leave, and again after - you may have had a long day when you come home, but she has not...enroll in group classes [even if you've been before] - helps you learn how to teach, and to be the "leader," and helps her learn a few basics, get some all-important socialization with both humans and canines, and learn some confidence and security in being able to do as you ask...a secure pup is a good pup...then have practice sessions at home...some good hard, durable chew toys that you change around every so often, so that they have the sense of being "new"...a job to do - part of a meal in a kong, or all of it in 4 or 5 of them...rope toys...great-for-teeth marrow bone......get 3 good books [library is fine if you choose not to purchase] on the "care and feeding and training of" - read them cover-to-cover...this gives you a few different viewpoints...remember ideas you like and "toss" the rest...keeping a routine/schedule for her also helps her anticipate the course of a day's events, which may also help her to "settle" some...you might consider a sitter/walker, to come in mid-day, for exercise and playtime...sasha will quickly learn to look forward to that part of the schedule during your time away...as for those items you'd like to keep "whole," pick up and put away what you can, and then, if necessary, gate off/close doors to the room[s] where the most damage may be done, and give them back as the chewing subsides...spy on her - leave as you normally would, doing everything beforehand that you normally do...then go back and watch thru a window...very often, the real damage is done in the first 15 minutes or so after the human leaves...if you find that's the case, you can try to condition her to accepting very short departures to begin, and then gradually build up time...start w/just a minute, return, and praise her for being so good in your absence...2 mins....3mins....5...8...and so on...praise every time for good behavior...if at any point, she regresses, go back to where she last did well...use each duration a few times, before adding time on...of course, this works best if you call in some sick/vacation/personal time, since consistency is key, and repetitions need to be a little closer than once a day during the training, so that she is not doing damage between times, during the training...when she chews something she shouldn't, and you see her do it, offer a substitute item that she is allowed to chew, and then praise her for using that one...praise every chance you get - for everything...talk to her all the time...use simple words, consistently, and you'll be pleasantly surprised how much she can learn what you want and what you don't want - and how quickly...routine is good...quality nutrition is...still a puppy, with puppy energy...and that energy has been bottled up in a crate all day, or alone w/nothing to do but wonder when her family will return...you might also try not keeping her in crate during the night, to see if that may help, as well................miami347

Guest Anonymous

Thank you very much for your great advice. I think we'll try keeping her in the crate for a bit longer and maybe try her out of it again at a later date. I don't understand because we just got her a new bag of toys-the rope ones, hard durable one that they swear a dog can't bite through and squeeky ones. We left them all out in hopes for her to chew those. We moved everything, but it's just too much to move everything we did and then empty the bookcase in which there is no way to block off. We do block her off to a point, so she's got access to one room really - the living room...

She is attending classes currently, so we're trying that for her confidence...this will be her second session-she's been once for six weeks, and she is starting again, for another six weeks.

As far as catching her when she chews, we thought we'd try her for the full day because we've left her several times alone for a few hours at a time out of her crate and she was just fine. It's when we leave for the whole work day and she's out of the cage-THAT is when she chews. I think it might be anxiety, but I am not sure how to correct that.
We practice her obedience school stuff often with her and she is ALWAYS praised (when doing the right thing)..but there are just some things I can't get her to stop doing...
Again-thanks for your response!

Guest Anonymous

last year, august till november, i had a bunny added to the household, while bunny's guardian was in europe for 3 months...'gave the bunny the den, for her room, and put up a gate - shep/lab and she had met several times, nose-to-mose, but not often enough that trusting them alone together was complete enough to allow it at all times...bunnies cew - dig, too...my 5-month "new" carpet was shredded along most of the perimeters - when i covered those places w/duct tape, she went furthur "inland"..wires on vcr, computer, stereo speakers, and a lamp were knawed thru...'put up blockade after blockade after blockade...she was too smart for me...every time i thought i had her beat, she'd be innovative all over again...2 weeks before her guardian came back, my last-ditch-effort blockades had finally stalled the damage...this included, but not limited to, [to the tune of 12 days of Christmas] 3 metal grates, 2 dresser drawers, and a panel from an old storm door, la-la-la...'didn't have a room to look at, but it did work, which was fortunate, since once guardian was back, guardian needed some time to get living quarters for self and bunny, who stayed somewhat longer...point being, that i guess you can block anything if you're persistent enough...[this all probably makes sasha sound like an angel, right?]...hopefully, the classes will serve you both well...and they certainly never hurt...'personally would lose the crate, since it may be a partial cause...perhaps another room, with no books?...say, the kitchen?...[yeah, there are lots of books in my kitchen, so maybe you have some there, too - but mine are higher up, on wall shelves]...'indicated the anxiety in previous reply - that's where the desensitization comes into play...maybe you could baste those toys in pb or some lo-fat cottage cheese...............miami347

Guest Anonymous

You might want to try a toy that is a challenge. There is one called the "Kong" toy, and others similar to it. You would put some dog treats inside of it. The dogs will spend hours trying to get the treats out and the toy itself is virtually indestructable. I realize you work but it is not a good idea to leave a dog inside a crate for 8 hours. 4 hrs is max. You might want to try an exercise pen if you have the room to set one up and make it large enough for the dog. Otherwise I would limit the dog to a certain room. He's chewing most likely out of boredom so a variety of toys could help. Try changing toys daily so he doesn't get bored with the same ones and save a "special" toy for evenings when you can spend time playing with him. I hope some of this helps.

Guest Anonymous

a year old is still pretty young, and dogs that age uaually have tons of energy. go on walks, swimming, fetch, frisbee, whatever she likes, alot until she's tired out. i wouldn't crate her because she sounds old enogh to be house broken or left outside for awhile. if she can't run around, she'll be even worse when you do have to leave her alone.
LOTS of toys. LOTS of toys. dogs love toys, especially younger dogs. you might want to switch them out every now and then like everyone else said (our dogs lose them and they find them again and then they have a brand new toy!)
most dogs either do or do not chew. you need to convince your dog NOT to. basic obedience helps most things because it establishes you as "top dog" and that generally helps your relationship.
could one of your neighbors/friends/or you take off for work to play with her and take her outside? this could help alot. then, gradually increase the amount of time you leave her alone.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks everyone great ideas!
I like that idea with the toy that had the treats inside... I have yet to see it, but will be looking for it now.
Blocking her into a room would be an even better option, but the set-up of my condo is all one big floor plan in the downstairs. The kitchen is TINY, so that wouldn't be solving my problems of letting her run around and the dining room/living room is all one large room, no way to block off really. So, we're stuck with the blocking her from the upstairs bedrooms.
We've left her with a ton of toys, and she still seems to get bored, but if someone could let her out somewhere in between, I wonder if this would help, as i said, she does fine when it's only a few hours at at time.
I also like the pen idea, more like a fence around her but with enough room for her to run..although I want to get away from the cage idea all together so she can feel free.
Again, thanks everyone for the ideas (and miami-that bunny sure does make my sasha look like an angel!! I don't know how you did it I would have gotten the address to the owners and shipped that bunny right over to where they were staying!

Guest Anonymous

the indoor fencing comes in several sizes and heights, and you can add on another section, if you want more room inside the area..."that bunny" uses this now, in lieu of being stuck in a cage for part of the day...and there's enough space to go in and play w/her there, too...purchase isn't real cheap [talented enough to make your own?], but the investment is worth it, and it's something to always have on hand [folds up easily, for transport] if you ever go away anywhere and need it...as for someone comng in, if finances do not allow for a sitter/walker, perhaps you have a friend/relative/neighbor in the area/condo who is home during the day, and would love to play w/sasha, midday, for a nominal fee...or you might swap services...the kong-type item [there are slightly less expensive generic ones that do the same thing] is available at most any store with a "pet dept."...'have also seen them at groomers/kennels that have training classes...'didn't think "that bunny" would make it all the way to europe, and of course, one does what one must when it comes to our animal friends...bunny and guardian are still living w/me, but have finished basement to share...she doesn't get in trouble any more, and she IS such a cutie...she's 3 1/2 now, and has been w/her guardian snce she was 6 months - 'came so she wouldn't get to someone's dinner-plate...................miami347

• 5 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Do you leave a radio on to help with the anxiety? Also once a dog is "house trained" it doesn't really "run around", so confining her to a room like the kitchen or bathroom would be a place to start.

I had that problem with my 2 year old Bullmastiff, Charlie as a cage that we used for training and he loves being in there, but he does not like being left even for one hour...he chewed his bed because of it even though he had plenty of toys and was exercised before being left, so he had to have another new bed which he as already chewed again but now, before i attempt to go out i leave the stereo on (not to loud)lol, just enough for him not to hear us leaving and he also as a old curtain round his cage so that he cannot see us....we never make a fuss, try not to make any sound with keys etc and we just leave, and up till now he as been fine. So you could try this!

GOOD LUCK
Shannon
Bullmastiff Owner, Researcher/Adviser of the breed. Lover of all Animals.