Dogomania

Help Please

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi,
I have a 10 year old male Chow/Shar Pei mix dog. He is my best friend and has been with me thru soo much. He has recently developed a runny nose, makes chewing and licking motions with his mouth when he has nothing in there, shakes his head repeatedly, and then tries to leave his head tilted to the right side. He falls asleep standing up and has even been reluctant to eat toast with me in the morning,which is a tradition with us for years. I know he's not feeling well and am calling the vet in the morning. Does anyone have any idea what could cause these behaviors ??

Guest Anonymous

Kathi, any and all guesses would be just that, a guess. So you are doing the right thing by taking him to a professional. Be sure his teeth and ears are checked thoroughly. I can always tell when my Min Pin is having teeth problems as she does what I call "licking the air." I hope everything works out for you and your buddy.

Guest Anonymous

no problem is too small to ask the vet about. bettr safe than sorry, as they say, and if it is serious you may have caught it before it escalates.

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I had a 3 month old puppy I rescued from the animal shelter that did that. She was a Shar-pei Australian Sheherd mix. I took her up to the vet and they said she had Distemper and had to be put down. She had a runny nose made noises and would fall over and act very weird. She had to be put down.

• 1 month later...

Thats not a nice way of putting it (to the person with the Sharpei cross) who had to be put to sleep, this would be upsetting as it is for the person asking for help. PLEASE THINK before you say anything.

If your dog is shaking his head a lot, holding his head to one side and seems sleepy, this indicates infection in his ears, my 2 year old Bullmastiff does this. It is right that your going to take him to see your vet for this who will show you how to clean his ears. Its quite simple really....I have to do my Bullmastiffs ears twice a day. As for the chewing making a noise part....he could have teeth problems, these can also be checked by your vet.

GOOD LUCK! Please let us know how you get on.
Thank you
Shannon
Bullmastiff Owner, Researcher/Adviser of the Breed. Lover of all Animals!