Dogomania

Dal owners?

yellowlabsrule

Guest Anonymous

Yes, only since Thanksgiving. She spent Thanksgiving day sleeping on the couch. She slept for days after I got her home. I'm sure she was totally exhausted.

She has a fear of getting into cars. I imagine because she got dumped by some jerk. Every day I take her for a short drive just to show her she will always be coming back home.

Jacki

Guest Anonymous

She seems so sweet. I'm on a conference call right now (at work) but am trying to read the daily reports on you catching the mom and pups.

I'm so moved by this.

Thank you again!

Guest Anonymous

After reading about her progress, I AM crying....what a special girl.

Carrying her toys from the couch to the bed, and back to the couch. Only to take a cat toy and put it back in the toy box.

You must be SO proud.

Are the pups still on petfinder (I think I just saw them)?

Guest Anonymous

You may have seen them. They are called the "Wild Bunch". Looks like Papa was a black Lab. Three of the pups are definitely Dals but the one looks exactly like a black Lab.

Jacki

Guest Anonymous

Well...we can certainly arrange a transport if you'd like to adopt one of them! IMOM-Xpress transport volunteers go everywhere :)

Jacki

Guest Anonymous

:lol:

Trust me, I'd take one if I could. My dogs wouldn't allow another one in the house, though. Kenzo would be SO jealous he couldn't handle it!

Besides, I just helped a golden find a rescue home and I'd take him in a heartbeat, he's such a good boy....but can't... :x

I had a Dalmation, Brendle, growing up. She lived 14 years. Everything you have read about them being "high energy" is true. I love them still, but if you aren't an active outdoors person and don't have a fenced yard chose another breed.

Brendle was a chewer for 7 years easily. Furniture, wallpaper, stuffed animals, etc. My mother took her running 3-5 miles [b][u]every day [/u][/b]and played with 4 kids in our family and she still had energy to burn. My parents were not experienced dog owners, so I am sure there were things that could have been done to correct it sooner. Friends of ours have a rescue and since they are bred to follow carriages, they run their dog several miles daily with a golf cart. That keeps him satified.

Once the destructiveness stopped, other problems Brendle had were skin problems like dermatitis and she developed cysts and skin cancer. She also had arthritis in her hips around 10. She lived to be 14 years old. Also, you need to like wearing fur. Your black clothes show the white and white clothes show the black fur. We did not have any problems with biting or aggressiveness.

I love this breed, but with my current lifestyle I couldn't own another one. They are great dogs, for owners with their eyes open.

My parents got her in Richmond,VA. I was 12, so I don't know the breeder. She came to us because she was too tall for show.

She wasn't sickly by any means. I was not the primary care giver so my dates might not be accurate. I was 12. She lived to be 14 years. The breed is prone to skin problems and cancer. We also dipped her because the topical flea stuff was only in the experimental stages 3 years after her passing. I think the dipping may have had something to do with the skin problems. :(

I see too many people insisting on a purebred and making uinformed choices. I love this breed but it only takes a few irresponsible owners to ruin it for everyone.

Example close to home, our neighbors have a beautiful male Dal. He is also unneutered, they didn't bother to leash train him and they exercise him by letting him run lose at night in the neighborhood. We live near a highway. I think that is a slice of the good things going on in his life so no small wonder he has potential to be a fear biter. He is sweet to us and accompanies us free form on our walks with our dogs some nights.

• 1 month later...

Ok, my nice long reply I had didn't get posted. Yes, I am the one who was trying to find a home for Ax. We have since changed our minds. Some things had come up, but we are going to work through everything and it is going well so far.
Ax is not a hyper dog, not a barker, not protective at all. He licks everyone who comes to the door. He deffinatly pushes his boundaries and would love to be the dominate one. He is alpha dog at our house and is very confident. He is well-trained and is smart and easy to train. Great with other dogs, but if they push him, he will let them know who is boss. Deffinatly not good with cats.
Dalmatians are deffinatly chewers, even if they are worn out they chew. Ax can destroy a kong in under 10 min. I am used to dogs who need a job (I have a working gsd) but Ax has him beat hands down in the destructive department!
Ax has juvenille cateracts and this is something to watch out for in the breed as it is a recessive gene that is hereditary.

I used to own one...be careful when selecting dalmatians...if the breeder is spelling the name wrong, that should throw up a half dozen red warning flags...remember, its dalmatiAn, from the now-defunct land of Dalmatia. they are now very popular and you can run into some nasty ones. dalmatians cannot, ever, ever, ever, be bought, brought home, and left alone in the backyard. or front yard. they MUST live inside. (with lots of outside time) train them from the day you get them (or at least the week) they have alot of energy but are not "hyper." they can be trained and should be. they are very, very, incredibly, sweet, but they remember any ill treatment for years afterwards. they are smart. they love thier people, but can be too rowdy for small children. they learn fast. the ones I have known love other dogs. I've never known one that won't try to kill chickens or chase cats.