Dogomania

Luxating Patella

Lilliansmom

My 4 year old Jack Russell was recently diagnosed with having a luxating patella resulting in arthritis in her back right leg. The vet gave me several options, including joint supplements and also surgery. I'm skeptical about the joint supplements because I've heard from people who have taken them that they don't help. I'm terrified of surgery for the obvious reasons. I want to do what's best for her. I know her knee causes her some pain and it breaks my heart, but surgery will be painful too and I know it isn't always successful.

Does anyone out there have advice on this subject? Has anyone else had their Jack's luxating patella treated and if so how? Is the surgery worth considering? My main concern is that she is only 4 years old and otherwise very healthy. I want her to have many happy, healthy years ahead, and I want her to be as mobile and pain free as she possibly can be for as long as possible.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated by both me and Lillian :smile: