Dogomania

Need Help Stimulating Appetite

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello,
I am new to this board and look forward to getting to know all of you! I have a 7 year old pug that was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. I am having a hard time getting him to eat anything but boiled chicken. He is on valium for assistance with urination and the combination of the valium and lack of a good diet is causing him to be extremely lethargic. I'm currently feeding Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato but he doesn't seem to like it at all. I've been giving him boiled chicken and mixing in yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin, baby food, etc. (not all at once of course) One day he'll like the yogurt, the next day he won't, etc. He's just not getting enough calories to give him the energy he needs. I'm considering a switch to the new BrightLife food. Does anyone have experience with this? The fat content is high and the carb content is low which is good for a cancer dog. I'm also having a hard time getting his pills into him. I started with peanut butter then he decided he didn't like it anymore so I switched to cheese and now he won't eat cheese. For the smaller pills, I can stuff them in a chunk of chicken and get them in but there's one pill in particular that's a little bigger and it must taste really bad because he always manages to get it out. Any suggestions for any or all of these things.....appetite stimulant, energy booster, tips for getting the pills in (putting them directly down his throat does not work!)?? Any tips from those with cancer experience? Thank you!!

No cancer experience and I am not familiar with that dog food you mentioned but you may want to look into Solid Gold Mmillenia or Innova or Innova Evo. All of them have high calories/cup so you would be getting the most into him even if he won't eat much. They all have higher protein percentages. The only drawback to the Mmillenia is that it is all beef based and some dogs don't tolerate that well. Innova or Innova Evo may be more calorie dense as well. Evo is specifically geared towards lower/better carbs from what I've heard.
When you say you've tried cheese - have you tried a spreadable cheese like cheese whiz? My mum uses a small dollup of cheeze whiz on a peice or roll of bologna with the pill hidden in the cheeze whiz for her dogs anti-anxiety pills.

Oh, as for stimulating appetite:
-regular gravy in food
-a bit of ground meat in food
-yogurt in food
-pretty much anything that the dog likes mixed in with the food to get it to eat a bit more of the kibble
-or just plain switch to a home prepared diet
-free feed kibble but have two small meals a day of something really good and tasty
Good luck.