Dogomania

Pit Bull / Timber Wolf hybrid

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='rotten wolf']You talk like you have the slightest clue as to how you can identify if a dog has wolf in it. I live in new mexico and have been breeding wolf hybrids for 15 years. I have just recently begun crossing them with rotties.You are correct about a wolf being shy and avoiding confrontation(BUT) put one on a leash and take it for a walk and see what happens...(They will put themselves between you and anything that comes up to you Cause after all you are the alfa) Rotty and wolf mixess, I have kept one out of eleven and the only things that look wolf on her is the long neck and the extra set of K-9s. The K-9s are the #1 way to tell if a dog has any amount of wolf in them worth talking about. So with that being said unless you are willing to piss off someones dog enough for them to bear their teeth at you and show you the wolf in them, Or you can continue being little pansies and logging on to your web site so you can talk trash about them or you could even do the real outlandish and maybe educate yourself a little bit more about recognising mixed breeds.[/quote]

LOL... you sound like you are posting to yourself too. I happen to know S...and she knows a great deal about wolfdogs and wolves, a great deal....

The K9's are NOT the No. 1 way to tell if a dog has wolf in it... your'e wrong... plain and simple. Thats down on the list when we who are recognized as expert phenotypers start the analysis of an animal. And for the record, I am recognized by the Defenders of Wildlife to do just that, phenotype suspected wolfdogs.

If you are cross breeding wolves and wolfdogs with Rots, then you are part of the problem in the Wolfdog community, not part of the solution.

98% of mid, high mid, and high content wolfdogs, will NOT jump in between you and a foe if that foe is human...in fact, most will try and bolt on approach, esp. if the F factor is 4 or less.

The wolfdog community faces it biggest challenge now, and that is trying to keep the wolfdog off the "dangerous dog list"... many cities and municipalities have banned dogs on that list, or require outrageous insurance policies and containment.

Education is the key. Always has been. This list should be educational, and posts like yours, trying to degrade someone and playing "mr. keyboard badd@$$" solves nothing.. Again: part of the problem, not the solution.

If the wolfdog is to survive in the coming years, it's going to take all wolfdog owners, wolfdog rescuers, and breeders to become educators and be extremely responsible, in home checks for prospective owners, interviewing prospective owners on their knowledge of wolfdogs, taking animals back when the owners cant handle them, and not over breeding...

It's a very serious problem out there right now. Think on it. We all need to be on the same side.

• 4 weeks later...

this post is for the the guy who said up there that hybrid is not the right term for a a wolf/shepherd or husky or wolf anything mix...............definition of the word hybrid is as follows.And offspring of two animals of different races and or breeds and or varieties or yes even two different species.............hybrids are not only combinations of different species for your sake i hope you own a dictionary and you have no buisness working for a place that has anything to do with wolves.

"working for a place"? hahahahahaa... I'm the President of WRR, fool.

you are the one that need to be educated, dude. And I forgot more about wolves than you will ever learn. Until you have done what I have done with wolves and wolfdogs for 24 years, don't even try and crawl in this space.

the USDA recently resigned the "hybrid term" to wolfdog. This was based on the 1990 dna proof that the animals are the same species. Hence forth, the term: canis lupus familiaris for the dog.

My organization is recognized by the Defenders of Wildlife, guess you are too, right?

[FONT=helvetica, arial][SIZE=+1]Affects Animals of Recent Wolf Descent [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial][SIZE=+1]Excerpts Taken from Alabama's [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial][SIZE=+1]"Anthrozoos News and Views" Magazine[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial]written by [/FONT]
[B][FONT=helvetica, arial][SIZE=+1]Dr. Bill Johnston, DVM.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=helvetica, arial]of the [/FONT]
[FONT=helvetica, arial][SIZE=+1]Alabama Department of Health[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=courier] Rabies Control Rules and Regulations 420-4-.Ol-.09, which received final approval by the State Board of Health on September 17, 1997:
Our state rabies law provides for the State Board of Health to adopt and promulgate rules and regulations for rabies control which have the force and effect of law."
In the definitions section, the document refers to the taxonomic changes made in Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic Geographic Reference (1993) and by reference incorporates the definitions used by the animal inspections branch of USDA in the Code of Federal Regulations, which include hybrid crosses in their definitions of "dog" and "cat."
There is lengthy explanation of rules regarding animal control procedures, reporting procedures, investigation of reports, and evidence, followed by 420 4-4-.07, which reads:
"Extra-label Use of Animal Antirabies Vaccines. Provides for extra-label use of rabies vaccination of domestic animals - with a notation on the patient's record - but, still does not allow vaccination of wildlife. (Note: See definitions). There is technically no "approved" vaccine for swine (pot-bellied pigs), goats, llamas, and most other exotic species kept as pets, but there is often a demonstrated need for rabies vaccination and efficacy can be expected in domestic mammals. The rule, by definition, also allows for the immunization of wolf-dog hybrids, but still may require their euthanasia on a case-by-case basis in the event of an aggressive, unprovoked attack, depending on the circumstances of the bite and the epidemiology. The rules do not change the traditional recommendation that people should not attempt to keep wolf hybrids as pets, but rather addresses the situation of thousands of such animals in the state that already exist. The rules also provide for rabies vaccination programs in zoos, research institutions, and exotic exhibitors licensed under the USDA Animal Welfare Act in an attempt to protect valuable animals."
In the body of the Rule, in "Definitions," "Dog means any live or dead member of the domesticated dog ([I]Canis lupus familiaris[/I]) family of any age or any dog-hybrid cross, in the exposure context."
In another definition it reads: "Hybrid-cross" means an animal resulting from the crossbreeding between two different species or types of animals. Crosses between wild animal species such as lions and tigers, are considered to be wild animals. Crosses between wild animal species and domestic animals, such as dogs and wolves or buffalo and domestic cattle, are considered to be domestic animals."
[/FONT]

[FONT=courier]In order for the wolfdog to survive in todays uneducated society, this is the route those that ARE educated take.[/FONT]

[FONT=courier]End of story.
[/FONT]

(i cant post links because i dont have 20 posts, but google: Wolfdunn and read what they say about the term "wolf hybrid".... this is from yet another wolfdog recognized site:

"[B][COLOR=#000099]What's a wolfdog?[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2]A wolfdog, also known by the technically incorrect term wolf hybrid, is a canine of wolf ancestry more recent than established domestic dog breeds. There are some breeds such as the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog that are recognized registered breeds of wolfdog. The German Shepherd Dog had wolf bloodlines in its origin and the breed isn't that old either. A simple generalization could be that a wolfdog is an unrecognized mixed breed of recent wolf and domestic dog ancestry. "[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]and this is from the site of one of the largest wolfdog rescues in the U.S.:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Full Moon Farm Wolfdog Rescue...google it..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"[/SIZE]

[B]What is a Wolfdog (or Wolf Hybrid)?[/B]

A wolfdog is a dog with recent wolf heritage. That is, a wolfdog has a pure wolf ancestor within the last five generations. (That would be the wolfdog

Ive red your posting and I have to say that I couldnt agree with you more.... I have been breeding and raising wolf dogs here in N.M. for the past fifteen years, I joined this forum in hopes of getting involved in some intelligent conversation. Instead all I get is *****s (like a certain Henry31) replying to me telling me I need to get a dictionary and learn more about a posting I never posted. Now that I have visited the site I realize that you are the one who made the posting, and I still say that henry31 is an *****. Anyways I support and belieave in what you are doing by reintergrating wolves back into the wild. Its a beutifull thing... Sincerily rotten wolf...8)

• 9 months later...