Dogomania

Foxhounds hunting Cougars...

courtnek

There are two cougars loose in Lake County, about 35 miles North and East of here. They were spotted at a valuable thoroughbred horse farm,
and the owners are concerned for the welfare of their horses...

They hired a tracker, armed with a dart gun, and he is there with a pack of Foxhounds...from Laurel's Hunt Club!!!

20 dogs, patrolling the property 24/7....protecting the horses and searching for the cougars. They have found a trail, but havent quite caught up with them yet....cougars move fast...and the horse farm wants the dogs there to warn if the cougars return.

They've been loose in this area since January. They think they were someones exotic pets, that were either let loose, or escaped.
Kinda cool!!

Guest Mutts4Me

Not cool in the sense that they're probably going to have to be killed. Idiotic people, having these things as pets.

I doubt that "tame" cougars are going to bother a horse. Smaller animals, definitely. Today 6 of our cougars who live in a natural habitat had fun playing with a groundhog who got a little too close to their cage. It was on the outside, and it was assisted to safety, but I'd hate to think what would've happened to it if it'd gotten in. I know what happened to the feral kitten who got in another cougar's cage...

I really hope none of the hounds run into one or both of the cougars, because I fear for the dogs' safety. Nothing like a cornered predator :-?

the hounds hunt in packs. There are 10 with the tracker, and 10 at the farm with the Hunt Master. They wont be killed, unless absolutely neceesary. There is a Cougar rescue society involved, who wants them
darted, not shot. There wont be 1 or 2 hounds approaching the cougar, the whole pack will, if they find it. Their training is to corner, tree, and allow the hunter to do the "kill", which in this case will be a tranquilizer dart.

Even a cougar wont take on 10 (loudly) baying dogs. That's why they chose Foxhounds,because of the pack training.

Foxhounds will trail, surround and make it impossible for the cougar to escape. The odds are good they will tree it, it will be the cougars only escape. They will wait below the tree until the tracker can dart it. They stay together, as a pack, for protection. None of them will venture into the cougars realm with out the others.

I only hope they can dart it, and dont have to kill it. It's not the cougars fault people are idiots...